Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
changing seizure meds
wkl0910 posted:
My son had one seizure last year and was put on Depakote. This medicine has worked, but he has gained about 30lbs from taking this medication. Is it hard to change from this medication to one that does not have the weight gain side effect. Other than the weight gain the medicine is wonderful. I have heard that Topomax is also good and does not have the weight gain issue.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I"m glad that depakote worked for your son. Weight gain is an unfortunate side effect for many helpful medications.

I would take this question to your son's doctor - he may feel that the weight gain is problematic enough to try another med.

Here is a link to the WebMD Drugs and Medication Center where you can find out about a medication and read user reviews.

Depakote Oral

There are 610 user comments - some might have suggestions for avoiding the weight gain or another medication.

Haylen

hula_dancer73 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
hi haylen,

I was on 2000 mgs of Depakote for 2 years and I also gained about 30 pounds with it. That was a very high does since 3000 is next up. I got toxic with it nad had to be taken off it.

Lamictal is usually cross-titrated with the Depakote. Slowlly gp off it and when they cross each other then it gets fast from there with the neuro watching.

Ih ad to do that. It ws a mess for me, but then I am not everyone else.

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center