Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Scalp Acupuncture
Schmimi posted:
We are nearing the end of our rope as far as any hope for alleviating our 35 yr old son's seizures. He is currently on max dose of Keppra, Lamictal, Buspirone. Does anyone have any experience with scalp acupuncture?

hula_dancer73 responded:
hi there,

I do not know anything about that, but there is something called a VNS or Vagus Nerve Stimulator.

I have one and my szs went from 10-12 a day down to about 3 a month.

Ih ave had it for 5 years now and it is wonder ful.

I live in Honolulu HI.

I am a rep for the VNS. and could probably help you some.

IT is used for people with intractable szs and you have to be evaulated before you get it.

I take 200 mgs OVER the max of the adult dose of Lamictal, 200 mgs more than the adult dose of Vimpat and 3 mgs of Klonopin.

hula_dancer

saxofone1 responded:
Hi,

your son's case sounds similiar to mine. I have been on a variety of meds since 1975.

I don't know anything about the scalp acupunture. I used the basic acupunture back in the 80s for a short time. I was curious. It was effective for a short time. I later resumed traditional treatment.

Have you checked with a local epilepsy foundation or medical school for material on this procedure?

My docs tested me for the VNS but later concluded that it would not be the right way to go. I was later tested for a lobectomy. Tests showed that I was a good candidate for the surgery.

Has your son been tested for the VNS or for brain surgery?

The VNS seems to be helping Miss Hula as the lobectomy has helped me. Each of us is different.

Good luck on your search.

angie

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center