Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
My 11 year old had his first Grand Mal Seizure
laggie posted:
My son had a grand mal seizure this morning and seemed to be very hyperactive just a few hours after he was fully conscious. Is this normal?

hula_dancer73 responded:
some people caaan get back to normal after they get out of the post-ictal stage.

IT used to take me 2 days to come out of it and nwo I have a device implanted in my chest called a VNS or Vagus Nerve Stimulator. IT has cut down my szs from 10-12 a day almost every day to about 3 a month.

IT has also shortened teh post-ictal stage considerably I come to in around 15-30 minutes and sometimes sooner.

Everyone is different in terms of how they act after a sz and no 2 szs are alike, nor is their recovery time.

2 szs=epilepsy and if he has had only one he probably needs a thooorugho neurlogical workup. EEGs are handy toold for that as well.

I had my alst one in 07 so mine figured that I needed to have them again.

2 of htem. one in the office and one i had to take home with me.

if he acts like that after a sz then that may ne normal for him af ter having one. Everhyone is diffeerent.

I lag some ofter one even t hough I have that device.

itcome with a special high powered magnet that you canused to swipe for szs partial szs and some othe ones but no sure what type. ONe of my neruology books said that the typres it does good for is the Partials, and the T/Cs and Absence. May not be able to use a magnet but you can still achieve relief from it. the magnet can be given to a friend teacher pr parent and they can swipe in the middle of the sz and stop it or a tleast slow it down.

if he has anoher one tak to your doc about it.

Truly in my opnion I would think tha the behviour he had aftrewaes woiuld come right be fore the sz as a warning.

Well I hoped I helped some. I live in HI on O'ahu in Honolulu.

well good luck and I hope you get some answers you need.

hula_dancer

laggie replied to hula_dancer73's response:
Thanks. I feel better knowing that it may be ok for him to have acted like that. I have grand mal seizures also, but they are controlled with my medication. I was concerned because after a grand mal seizure I was wore out, felt like I was beat up for a day or two.

hula_dancer73 replied to laggie's response:
like I said everyone is different even him. Don't even compare yourself to him. You are both differrnt.

SOmtimes I have T/Cs and will be K'Od for a littel while but that is me.

He can have that hyperactivity before as a warning or after as he gets back to being himself.

my after sz stuff I can be coming to immdeately after one and talking and knowing what is going on, and sometimes I will be so condfused I don't know a thing.

I would not worry so much about it but do keep and eye on him though. Go to a neurologist frist get an opion and then to a Psychiatrist to get some meds that can calm him down or at least get rid of the hyper activity.

When I was first dxd in 03 I had really irractic behaviour after a sz, but was not on meds that helped me at all.

I have been thru at least 9 or 10 meds not all at once several combinations of meds, and now take 3 meds and have that VNS. THe combo I have now is working adter the doc rearrachged the way it was being taken.

He changed my Vimpat from 2 times a day to 4 times a day and at different doses.

Docs usually wait to see if a second sz occurrs again with in 6 months of the first then they ususally t reat unlelss the EEG pattern is abnoraml

like I told kittyqqq That I finally had 2 EEGs done since 07 and for the first time in my last 10 yrs of EP they came back clean. All of them have come back bad. All of them.

so I was a happy camper.

THose are just suggestions based on what I know as a medic and my own expeirences.

DO not profess to be a doc. Jsut what I know.

Hope some of this second replay helped some more.

hula_dancer

VNS Rep

O'ahu, Hawi'i--Honolulu

dancer86442 replied to laggie's response:
Hi laggie,

Everything Nancy (huladancer) said is true. But, Did you know Epilepsy can be Hereditary, too? Although 1 DR told me that just cuz my Daughter has Hereditary Ep, doesn't mean I do. Considering my Family History & My History, I Disagree. But, he didn't offer to run tests to confirm my suspicions, either. I changed DRS, of course. But, still, no tests have been done to alleviate my concerns.

Please note everything you can remember B4, during & after his seizure in a Journal. (Read Journals under Tips) It mite be best to continue keeping a Daily Journal, just in case he experiences another 'episode'.

Researchers say: Everyone will experience at least 1 seizure or seizure type, w/in their lifetime. I had a cousin who had an 'absence seizure' at age 13 & never had another one.

Something you may want to consider: Diet! Gluten is just 1 of many a Known Trigger. Keep in mind Cause & Triggers are 2 different Subjects, when pertaining to EP. Or Low levels of Magnesium can be another Trigger. There is Soooo much to Learn. Ya Learn something New almost everyday, every mth, every yr.

How old is your son? Have you been able to explain to him what is happening? Or asked him to keep you Informed whenever he feels out of sorts or rather, Not the Norm? efa.org has Books for All ages, if you are interested. Check w/ your local library (Research Librarian) to see if any are available.

How long have you had seizures? How long have you had 'control'? Just Curious. Hugs

Love Candi

laggie replied to dancer86442's response:
Candi,

My son was not at home when he had the seizure he was at my in-laws. My son is 11 and I explained to him what happened at that he may never have another seizure again. I know it is hereditary because my uncle and cousin had seizures but they both outgrew them. We went to the ER the morning he had the seizure and his blood work came back normal. We are going to have an EEG done Tuesday. I have had several EEGS, all which came back normal. The only thing that ever came back abnormal was the pet scan I had done several years ago.

I had a grand mal seizure when I was six months old and never had another one, that was known of, until I was 16 or 17. (Was a senior in high school). I would have the grand mal seizures only at night and they were not that often. Now I have complex-partial seizures, in which I lose consciousness for 1-3 minutes. I am on Dilantin and Keppra, which I believe control the grand mal seizures but have not been successful in finding a medication to control the complex partial seizures. I am 35 and have not drove since I was expecting for my son who had the seizure.

Jamie

dancer86442 replied to laggie's response:
Hi Jamie,

Well, your story sounds a Lot like mine. But, I still Wonder if there were other signs that my parents may have missed. Especially when I heard my brother tell my Uncle a few yrs back, "Oh, don't worry. She does that." I was just sitting on a stoop thinking/talking w/ my Grandma who had just passed away the previous nite. I was Not 'out of it' like he thought. I keep forgetting to ask him what he meant by that.

Jamie, have you considered asking/telling your Neuro to change your meds. Dilantin is really the Worst med you can be on 'long term'. Since you haven't got the complex partials under control, Maybe a change is Due!

I wouldn't trust an ER to Diagnose Crap! Sorry, for my language, there. Talk w/ your Neuro. Also, keep a camcorder or other recording device Charged & Ready. Just in case he experiences anything while w/ you. Chances are it may never happen again. But, you have first hand knowledge & Know it could be mths, Years B4 it Mite happen again.

I hope you are keeping a Journal for yourself, too. I know, my Gran mals are under control, too. But, like you, the past several yrs, I have been experiencing 'lost time'. In fact, I Think I had a few 'episodes' when on our way to Washington State on Hubby's Bike. I'm not sure how long I was 'Out'. Just recall the sensation of my head snapping back & my eyes Opening. Now That was Scary! Keep telling my ol' man to find a way to Strap me to my seat! Or get a seat w/ arm rests & a bungee cord strapped across as a seat belt. Maybe when he gets his 'new bike'. Hopefully!

I'm Glad you joined us here in Epland. I Hope you stick around & 'share' your story & knowledge w/ 'newbies'.

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center