Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Nutrients and Epilepsy
kwild1140 posted:
Is anyone aware of any adverse effects of taking nutrients and epilepsy? My mom has epilepsy, and recently started a nutrition program recommended by her doctor. She takes a lot of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals. She's had two seizures this year, and was wondering if the nutrients that she is taking can be somewhat related. If you are aware of any studies, I'd be interested in the link if available. Thanx.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello kwild,

Some nutrients can interact w/ medication. But, it's more likely the lack of or low levels of certain nutrients (such as magnesium) that can cause seizures.

My comp crashed & I lost a Lot of my links. But, Nutrition is actually a Very Popular recourse for people w/ Epilepsy. And it Does work. But, like all treatments: What works for one may not work for another. So, chek under Tips for Journal Info & see if you can get your Mom to start writing down her Daily routine. There may be a Trigger that you are unaware of. You could, also, try visiting coping-with-epilepsy.com & ask your question there. Link is in 'Helpful Resources'.

Suggestion: Go w/ her to her next DR appt & ask your questions, too. Write them down to be sure you don't forget any questions you need answered. Hugs

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center