Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Bariatric surgery and epilepsy
Tammi5252 posted:
Does anyone have any feedback on bariatric surgery ( traditional roux en y ) for epileptics who take seizure meds daily? Are the seizure meds still effective? Thanks!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Tammi,

I don't have any Info on This Type of Surgery. I just know that meds are required, in most cases. And it is an 'individual thing' as to whether the seizure meds are still effective. You may need med doses adjusted or try new meds to determine What Works for You! This is the case, With or without Surgery. Trial & Error! It's all we get/got! Keep up w/ your Journal. Keep us posted on how you are doing! Know we Care!

Love Candi

dancer86442 responded:
I was trying to Log-In this morn & noted WebMD has Info on Bariatric Disorder? Just figured you mite wanna read that.

Tammi5252 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks Candi! My hubby is actually the patient. We are reluctant to have traditional gastric bypass due to his epilepsy. The insurance won t cover gastric sleeve..of course! Lol. Oh well, we shall see. Thanks for the support. Tammi

dancer86442 replied to Tammi5252's response:
Tammi,

Have you considered seeing a HomeopathicMD? Have you done any 'Homework on 'Diets? My neighbor is into Juicing certain veggies & fruits. That supposedly cleanses the acidic buildup in the System & is purported to alleviate a Lot of Disorders. Mite be worth cheking out.

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center