Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
2 recent seizures, advice?
ccannon11 posted:
Hello, I'm a 19 year old college student and I think I may have had two grand mal seizures in the last four months. The first was around April, when I slammed my finger in a door and passed out while I was cleaning my finger in the bathroom....some people found me and said I was seizing, but I wrote it off as squeamishness. Last week, however, I passed out at a friend's house, seemingly out of the blue, and I stopped breathing. Luckily my friend happened to know cpr and revived me. Right before I passed out, I started sliding down a windowsill I was sitting on and feeling unable to control my muscles. I've never had seizures before but as I've been doing some research, I feel like I've definitely experienced auras before; when I'm particularly stressed out I sometimes see white spots kind of launch across my eyes but I never thought much about it. I guess I'm just curious as to what these symptoms could mean and what kind of doctor I should visit; I tried to make an appointment with a family doc but most of those are a month away. Sorry for the ridiculously long first post, thanks for any feedback!

BlazingTiger responded:
ccannon11,
I wouldn't dismiss the first one. 2 seizures= epilepsy. the kind of doctor you should be seeing is a neuroligist. check with your insurance provider. to see what ones are covered. hope all goes well.

Jason

dancer86442 responded:
Hello CC,

Male or Female? Jason is Right & after your Research Statement, sounds like you have actually had more than 2 Seizures. Auras are considered Seizures, also. Definitely search for a Neurologist in your Area.Family DRS can't do much except give you a referral to a Neuro. Most don't Know enough about EP & won't/don't run the necessary tests. You can visit epilepsy.com or epilepsytalk.com (Links posted in Resources or Tips. No need to join unless you have comments) Both have Lists of Neuros thruout the US, recommended by others' w/ EP. Or just use your phone book. Keep in mind: It is really tough finding a Doc who will listen & answer your questions. Most do tests & dispenses meds as needed. No explanations! epilepsy talksite has another article you may be interested in. Diets that can help Control Seizures. Docs won't tell ya about that, either. Use the Search Tool on that site to find the articles.

It's Good that you are already Learning. epilepsyfaqs.org (in Resources) gives a Very Accurate description of Seizure Types. Most Important! Keep Learning! Epilepsy is a Never Ending, Forever Learning subject. I've been doing my 'homework' for over 20 yrs & still learn something new on a daily, mthly, yrly basis. But, the More you know the Better! Knowledge is Power! Especially when it concerns EP & Dealing w/ Drs & tests. And All other Aspects of Epilepsy. New Genes that cause EP are being discovered. Which means New Treatments are soon to be available, if not already. Another consideration: If you Can't afford DRS/Tests please Search for Clinical Trials. They will pay for everything! Including Transportation & housing.

Do Not give up on College! The Epilepsy Foundation.org has some great Advice/Tips for dealing w/ School! Use It! Also use the site to see if there are any Live Support Groups in your area. It can/will Help!

Long Post? Evidently you haven't read a few of mine & others'. Don't worry about That! You are limited by 4000 letters. When ya reach that limit you have to start another post.

Keep us posted. HUGS!

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
ssometines college studeents pull all-nighters to study for tests and that can cause szs.

is that what happened?

you need to start a jpurnal and see a neuro to get a dx of ep.

it took my firsr neuro ro dx it iiiin abouot 5 minutes. he was the fiiirst one. now I am on the 3rd neuro that I have hadd foor 6.5 years.

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center