Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA--Trileptal issues
mtnclimber10 posted:
My dad was recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia-has now been on Trileptal for 6 weeks. Two weeks ago he began having taste issues--everything tastes "Sugar Sweet". Any suggestions as the Neuro Dr. says "side effects should subside over time". In the meantime-What can he do????

dancer86442 responded:
Doc is Wrong! If he has been on meds for 6 weeks, Side effects should have Already decreased or gone away! All I can suggest is making sure he is 'eating nutritiously' (no Cheating!)

But, if that is the Worst he is experiencing on this med, I would say he is doing Good. Ya Learn to Cope or if intolerable, Insist on another med.

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
has he ever tried Tegretol with no other based drugs just s traight plain tegretol?

I was put on tegretol and had almost immdeatly relief but had to fight it becuase I was not doing well with the sz control but with the TN dx it helped a great deal.

ask his doc about that. for me NO tastes in mouth and was on it for 2 years.

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center