Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
keppra and weight gain
meghanlily posted:
I was put on keppra in Feb. and work out hard 4 days of week. I eat about 1500 calories a day. I can't fit into any of my clothes, decided I needed to add heavy weights to my workouts. Clothes that fit well in Decemeber can't even be buttoned now. Nothing fits, I hate to get dressed. Yesterday I decided it must be the keppra, I also have hypo thyroid, I was tested in Jan and was 1.9 which is good. I want to be tested this week to see if it has changed. I read that keppra changes your metabolism. I am sad because I feel great on it but how I feel about by appearence is horrid. I want to cry. I have nev er been this large in my life. People would look at me and say I look great, but I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi maghanlily and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time! I can completely understand that body changes must be very, very upsetting.

If you check out Kreppa in the WebMD Drugs & Supplements center, there are over 500 user reviews. You might find some who have similar side effects who have found a solution.

I know other members of this community will chime in soon with information and support!

Haylen

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Megan,

I responded to your Previous post & noted the Topic/Discussion had been repeated multiple times. So, I reported it & unfortunately All the posts including the one w/ my reply were gone. So, not sure if you read my comment.

I Did contact my Daughter who was on Keppra at 1 time. She did not experience any weight gain. But, I noted on the Reviews that Keppra has a 'sugar' base. This may be the problem. Not sure What you can do about it, though. Daughter said she ate Lots of Chicken & salads while on Keppra.

As for 'New' outfits/wardrobe. Consider doing the Majority of your shopping at thrift stores or Salvation Army &/or Goodwill.

I have just the opposite problem. My weight is like a Yo-yo the past 10 yrs. I Still have the clothes I wore when I was 'normal' weight, but, have supplemented w/ 'used' clothing since Losing soo much weight.

If ppl say you Look Great, then what's the Problem? Have you searched to see what your Ideal weight should be for your age & height? Is your DR &/or the gym you work out at, comfortable w/ the weight gain?

Personally, I wanna Cry cuz PPL say I look 'Awful' ! I am 5' 7" and have gone from 145 (more than I have ever weighed, even when PG) & dropped to 102. I maintain 102 to 114lbs. Shoot I weighed 95 when I graduated from HS 40 yrs ago.

Keep us Posted & Remember, we can find ways to deal w/ Most Side effects. Seizure Control is, in my book, way More Important! IF you feel the Weight Gain is affecting your 'Quality of Life' then Ask or Tell your DR to Try a New Med.

Love & Hugs! Candi

Helpful Tips

Hey Guys!
Need an extra hand? We help everyone! In ANY and EVERY way we can! Call now and ask us what makes us different than all the other ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center