Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Can a child with doose syndrome control his/her behavior?
SpeakingUp posted:
I am a teacher and have a child in my room with Doose Syndrome. I
have been told by his/her parents that she cannot control her behavior.
She has been in my room since August 9th and I have noticed that she
seems to act up when she does not want to do something. I do not know anything about this syndrome and would like information about its effects.

dancer86442 responded:
Sometimes what ppl experience is 'unique' unto them. I do know that Neurological Issues such as Doose Syndrome/Epilepsy Can cause Behavioral Issues. But, so can the medications we are on to treat the disorder. Wikipedia can describe what to expect as far as seizure activity, but does not include behavioral issues. Several Types of Seizure symptoms can be noted. Resources: Epilepsy Faqs has descriptions of the various Types of Seizures.

For Even More Info, Visit the Epilepsy Foundation. Site is listed in our Resources. Search for Doose Syndrome. Plus, (Search Again) there should be a Foundation in your State & possibly an affiliate near you & ask them for material that would help you. They can, also, send a rep to your school to educate you, the nurse & the Whole school. A Lot of Schools are doing this now. Education about Doose Syndrome (which is just 1 of many Types of Epilepsy) & all it's aspects Needs to be Shared w/ Everyone. Adults & Kids! Unfortunately, Epilepsy is a health Issue that a Lot of PPL know nothing about. Everywhere. Yet over 65 Million ppl, worldwide, are affected And it is the Oldest Disorder Known to Mankind. You can Help by getting this Info 'shared' w/ your school. Definitely 'Speak Up'!

KUDOS to you for Wanting to Know more. I truly understand the dilemma you are experiencing. By Learning More, you will be able to help the child, the parents & possibly other children/parents. BTW: There are Diets that Mite assist the child, too. The Atkins Diet was noted on FaceBook. Ask her parents How Much they Know!

As a Teacher, I consider you a 'caretaker'. Why? Becuz, you spend More time w/ the child then the parents do. Maybe there is Something they are Missing. Yes, she isn't/shouldn't be held accountable/ responsible for 'seizure activity'. But, she should have Help w/ any Behavioral Issues!

One of our Mottos (And I'm sure it's yours, too) Education IS Power!

Love Candi

P.S. You deserve Support, too. So feel free to Vent anytime. It Helps!

hula_dancer73 responded:
doose syndrome includes Myoclonic and Astatic (drop attacks). It almost ALWAYS beginsin an 18-50 month child who is developmentally normal until the szs begin.Other sz types incluse Absence and Tonic-Clonic (grand Mal).The course varies for each child.Some children outgrow it others while others deveopmentally delays bad persitant szs. Like CAndi said go to the efa site and on the left side of the page is a whole list of szs, syndromes and you should be able toget ehat you want. You canalso google it as well.

hula_dancer

dancer86442 responded:
Speaking Up,

There are Books on the EFA site for ALL ages! Learning Material! Chek w/ the Research Librarian at your Local Library for Availability of Any Books that would prove useful to you & the Child Class!

Love Candi

dancer86442 replied to dancer86442's response:
I sure Hope you are Still watching this conversation. I just came across this site. You & or other Teachers Can use this!

http://epilepsyclassroom.com/includes/pdf/epilepsy_fact_sheet_for_teachers.pdf

hula_dancer73 responded:
I am etting a very detailed book from the library thru the interlibrary laon system and can get you what you need probably.

I iwll try tofind it and get you some kind of answer.

Nancy

booyaa responded:
Hey
My daughter has doose syndome and i know exactly how hard it is to deal with.
Yes this is a factor of medication the symtoms of the medicine is sometimes harder to deal with more than the doose (behaviour, fatigue,over emotional etc ) best if you look up the medicine they are currently on for side effects.
Also you do need to keep in account that seizures with doose can be deceiving sometimes it appears they are fine playing etc but when you call them or give direction they appear to be ignoring you.Especially when getting better control on medication it reduces the seizure by time so you might not see it but the effects after is what you need to be aware of to distinguish weither its behaviour or seizure. With my daughter under he eyes go black she will be confused looking, head ache, instant bad mood, she also says she can hear the seizure making swashing noise. There really is alot to go along with doose syndrome i dont know if you have a special needs assistant or some other assistant but if not this would be a huge benefit and help.
Kids with Doose also have learning difficulties and problems retaining information and following direction- this is where SNA is needed.
The good news is kids normally grow out of this i have found very little information on Doose and nothing on adults with doose my daughter is the first in our county and like 3rd person registered in the country its madness. So it's really my full time job researching trying different techniques etc etc.
Doing out a health plan is also a good step to take because there is alot to go with Doose.
Blackouts/drop attacks/jerks/ myroclonic
If you have any questions we can organise email or something maybe suggest other plans we put in place in school for my daughter might benefit you also.
Good luck

dancer86442 replied to booyaa's response:
Hello Booyaa,

Thank you so much for your input. I, like you, have had to do Research to learn about My Epilepsy & am always 'Shocked' by what Drs Neglect to tell us. If you would like even more info about Doose Syndrome or just want to talk to other parents, I would like you to know that Facebook has a Support Group/page for you! Although from the sounds of it, you may be Helping Them w/ what you have Learned. Keep Learning! Education Is Power! And Everyday/Month/Yr there seems to be new Research/Medical Findings about our Epilepsy Disorders. HUGS!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center