Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
My 2 month old baby is on Keppra
jjriley30 posted:
My two month old baby is in the transition from Phenobarbital to the generic Keppra. Would love to hear some of your experiences with the keppra or generic Keppra. We are new to all these medicines and would love any feedback you can give about side effects and if you do or dont like the medicine for babies.

saxofone1 responded:
Hi JJ,

I have been on Keppra since the late 90s. I had the usual side-effects with it. The drowsiness and headaches I experienced did pass.

My epileptologist in Vegas switched me to Keppra XR about 3 years ago. The switch was made because my doc felt that I woud do just fine/better with a lower dosage of XR(extended release) as compared to the standard Keppra. His plan was to get me on the lowest dosage of meds with minimal seizures and fewer discomforts. I had none of the usual side-effects with this switch. Or any of the unexpected concerens. I am currently doing great.

Your baby will need time to adjust to the new med. This is the time to start taking notes about temp, appetite, behavioral changes, weight loss/gain, etc that might be due to the new med. You do keep a journal of such things?

Does your child's doc have any reading material to share with you about Keppra. Ask your pharmacist about the side-effects to a child. What to expect and what to be on the look-out for.

Meds are handled differently by each one of us. You know your child's behaviors and when something isn't right. I have no general info about anti-seizure meds and infants other than what I know from reading. I have been taking meds since my teens.

I do wish you and the little one the best on the switch.

I did take Pheno back in the 70s when I was in high school. I remember that to be a "dizzy-ing/high" time full of poor concentration and sleepiness.

angie

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center