Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Discovered I have another Seizure type..
BlazingTiger posted:
Thats right I or should I say my son or we did. He asked me if I was ok. He said I seemed really far & away. No convulsions though. All the other symptoms are the same. Dry Mouth & throat ( Kinda like I swallowed a fist full of sand. tired & lethargic & excessively tired & massive headache. I took all this into consideration concluded it isn't a grand mal. but I suspect it is an absence seizure. Done a lot of research & this is what I can conclude from what my son said. Just lovely.

Jason

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Jason,

Well, that is the Pitts. But, don't let it get you Down! Did your son mention if he had noted this B4? Or is this a 'First' as far as you guys know? I assume when he asked you if you were OK, you didn't respond. Did he note how long you were 'absent'? I sound like a Doc, don't I? Speaking of Docs: When is your next appt?

Jason, I know I had a lost time episode a few yrs ago. Which is why I quit driving, Again. I am not sure how often, but, they Still occur. I can still feel myself 'snapping out of it' when we were on the roadtrip. I was gonna chalk it up to being 'tired', but, Now, I ain't so sure. Why? Hubby has gotten irritated at me a few times w/in the past mth. Claiming I ain't listening to him. I catch a word or 2, then have to ask him what he is talking about, cuz, I didn't hear his full statement. He said it was becuz I was on the comp & not paying attn. But, I Know that ain't True. I Was in front of the comp. But, I wasn't reading/typing or playing a game. Each 'blank' moment would be only a few seconds. Same as on the bike. Unfortunately, he was in the kitchen, across the room from me & wasn't watching Me. Just talking as he fixed his meal. I can recall all that. So, why couldn't I recall his sentences/topic? My 'aftermath' I was a bit 'confused' as to Why I wasn't 'hearing everything'. A headache, (Rare for me) Plus Tired, even though I had had a good nap. I am More on the Alert, now. I have to be, since he refuses to 'See' or even consider the 'possibility'.

Hang in there Jason. We have survived the Convulsions numerous times. We will get thru this, too. I already know what the doc will say/do. Add another med. Change my med. One or both. I'm gonna try Diet B4 I try changing meds! Just gotta find a Nutritionist to get me started.

Hugs to you & your son. Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Jason,

Wow, does that seizure bring back memories. The ep you described sounds like my first one back in '75. I too had that out-of -this-world stare with no response to anyone. No recalll as to what happened during taht time. Headaches and fatigue were a part of it too.

The docs right away said " petite mal". Later tests determined pshychomotor(nowadays called complex partial). My seizures have had a definite change over the past 37 years. Basic stare, smacking the lips, pulling at clothes, etc.

It is possible for seizure types or actions to change over a period of time. You might be right about having two different types. Many people do.

Have you had an EEG recently? Any recent med changes/additions?

This could be just a single episode. Though my seizures were determined to be complex partial, I did have a few convulsions back in the 80s.

Jason, if you've been dealing with convulsions all these years, you have part of a new seizure type already handled.

Stay strong. Hang in there. You've had a fumble so check your playbook for the next possible set of downs that will move you forward. Don't sit on the bench.

love to your son and you,

angie

hula_dancer73 responded:
Hi Jason.

Do not feel badk I have more than one type. They never come out though.

I have T/Cs, Absence, Atonic (drop-attack), Myoclonic, and reflex to lights.

I was really sick one about 5 years ago on here and had all those types.

Sincethen I have only Complex Partial szs. now I have anoither type that was dxd several months ago wioth no name. I get REALY REALY dizzy and can not walk, stand up and run into things and fall over.

I am going to assume that I had a drop attack in there and was not knowcked out at all. I knew everything going onaround me. Had no clue who the 2 people were trying to help me were.

One was a care taker and the other one has a sister with epilepsy.

YEs it is real lovely like you said.

I even have to wear a helmet sometimes.

Jsut ask Candi, she can vouch for me.

Nancy

BlazingTiger replied to dancer86442's response:
Yes Candi you do sound like a doctor. I know I am going to get jumped all over once I post this but here goes. I have not been to a neurologist in about a year. I moved from Georgia to Pennsylvania. My Neuro was a complete QUACK.... Refused to go back to him. There is no appt in the immidiate future. My son said it was about 5 min.

Jason

dancer86442 replied to BlazingTiger's response:
Hey Jason,

I ain't gonna Blast you. WHY? Cuz, you would have to Blast Me! It's been more than a yr since I saw my Neuro. I wasn't experiencing what I do Now. I Know Better! But, they are sooo infrequent. If they happen on a more Steady basis, then I will Go. I have a Good PA Neuro. The Neuro she works for mite not be a Quack, but, his Manner/Attitude sucked or were Sorely Lacking!

You on the other hand are in a New Place w/ New Resources. Not all DRS are Quacks. You Know That. You also Know it takes Patience to Locate a DR you Like/Trust! Did you visit epilepsytalk.com & chek out the DRs that mite be available in your area? Phylis, epilepsytalk journalist, is Located in Penn, I believe. Also, a Friend of mine on FB.

5 minutes is a Long time for an absence seizure. So it seems. But, others have mentioned HRS. So, maybe not so long. But, I agree w/ Angie. If this Does Happen again, 'Get Off the Bench' Seek Help!

Love Candi

BlazingTiger replied to saxofone1's response:
That I am aware of Angie that was the first absence seizure I ever had. Been quite some time since I had an eeg done. No recent changes in meds. If it happens again hope not but you never know. I will seek help. Nancy with my vision or lack there of me & the doorframe have had several run ins & I lost everytime. I have no perifreal vision at all. Have dislocated each shoulder more times than I care to count. Not to mention the knots I have gotten from seizures I to get drop attacks. It amazing I haven't hurt myself worse than I already have been lucky. quite a few concussions too.

Helpful Tips

maybe not a seizure
A friend of mine had what he thought was a seizure. They could find nothing but he lost his license also. For one documented seizure. A ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center