Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Heart attack caused by seizures
An_248032 posted:
I was wondering if someone knows of the relationship between having a seizure and possible subsequent heart attack. I am 62 with mild hypertension for which I take lotrell and a little high cholesterol and about 25 lbs. overweight from stopping exercising(seizures i have had over past 15 years had correlates of either exercising or more than two nights with lack of sleep. I am back walking and have lost about 5 lbs.

After an EEG a heart doctor and then another one a year later both told me that the exam showed that I had a mild heart attack in past.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a clear relationship between seizures and heart attacks?

Thanks, Tim

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Tim,

Please, Use our 'Search this Community' tool. Heart attack & epilepsy. You will find a previous members Story. Maybe More.

Yes, I do believe there is a relationship. After all, your heart & other organs are 'commanded' by the brain, so maybe, are affected by seizures. Of course your other issues played a Part, too. It all adds up to take a toll on our system as we age.

Congrats on losing the 5 lbs. Keep it up! It can/will Help! Hope this Helped. More questions? Or just want the Support we Offer. Please keep us Posted. HUGS!

Love Candi

tjth64 replied to dancer86442's response:
thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

tjth64 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts.
Tim

dancer86442 replied to tjth64's response:
Hi Tim,

How are you doing today? I Appreciate that you Responded. I hope you are Still taking care. Know I care! HUGS!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center