Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
How to quit drinking with epilepsy.
Nicole_riann20 posted:
My boyfriend is 21 and he has been drinking every single night since he was 14 years old... In October 2010 he had a spontanious brain hemmorage leading to him having epilepsy! So now he is taking 700mg a day of Dilantin and just berely has gotten his seizures under control. Well i am tired of the drinking and want him to stop but everytime i even suggest quitting he uses the excuse that he could die from a seizure when his body goes into withdrawls... What can we do????

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Nicole,

Have you been w/ him to see his Neuro? Have you discussed this w/ his Neuro? I would be worried, too. Becuz, his med or any med for Epilepsy should not be consumed w/ Alcohol! He could die just as easily by mixing the two. Plus, Alcohol decreases the effectiveness of his meds. Which is possibly Why his seizures aren't under control 100%.

There are ways to de-tox the system. But, honey, unfortunately, your BF is in denial. Until HE faces the Fact that he IS an Alcoholic & Needs/Wants help, there really isn't much anyone Can do, except, Tough Love! Which would call for you to Leave Him, until he comes to his Senses. If he ever does.

Please, Inform his DR! Maybe the DR can/will talk with him & get him to realize he Needs Help! HUGS!

Love Candi

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nicole!

I'm so sorry you are facing this situation. It must be so scary and frustrating for you!

Candi is right, unfortunately, no one can force your boyfriend to stop his destructive behavior. I encourage you to take care of yourself and, if it comes down to it, practice tough love and end the relationship. I know that sounds harsh but I'm thinking of YOUR future happiness and mental health here.

Here is a resource that might give you some support and tools to use to encourage your boyfriend to seek help: Alcohol Abuse and Dependence - For Family and Friends

If your boyfriend is open to the suggestion, you might want to introduce him to this community. He can learn that living a healthy, happy and seizure free life is possible.

(((hugs))) to you!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center