Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Absent seizures
jbunn posted:
Not sure if anyone can help but I am hoping. My 7 year old son has had absent seizures for almost 3 years now. He went 15 mths with no seizures until about 2 months ago when we saw breakthroughs. We have increased his medicine to the maximum dosage allowed this past week but it is no help. We are seeing 8-12 seizures a day. We have an appt with his doctor next week to discuss switching medicine but I am not thrilled. We have really just gotten used to the side effects of this medicine. Anyway, he is very active and plays many sports and he also has asthma. We have been giving him albuterol treatments and his inhaler before every practice and game (4 days a week) and JUST discovered last night by searching alternative ways to control seizures that you should never give albuterol to anyone with epilepsy. Does anyone out there know if albuterol can cause breakthrough seizures? I was just stunned. Somehow our doctor (and us) missed this. We forgot to tell them because he does not require it all the time, only with seasonal changes. We have a call in to his physician but I was hoping to hear from anyone else who may know while I was waiting. Thank you in advance for your help!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello jbunn,

I guess my DR overlooked that fact when he gave me Albuterol. I have COPD, a progressive lung disorder which consists of Bronchitis & in my case, Asthma. I have experienced some breakthrus the past few yrs, after 20 yrs of Seizure free. My seizures were always gran mal/Tonic-clonic. But, the breakthrus consist of 'lost time' Episodes (absence seizures) . Never thought about Albuterol being responsible. I only use it IF/When I note wheezing that doesn't go away after 'hacking' phlegm out of my bronchial tubes. About once or twice a mth. So, you have Informed me of something I was unaware of & can say Yes, too.

What 'alternatives' are you looking for/at? I found the best Forum for Info on alternatives. The Link is in our Resources. Look for coping-with-epilepsy.com. Hugs!

Love Candi

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
hi you can have up to more than 100 of those Absence szs a day or more.

They are vertaully not notices by the naked eye. They usually require an EEG to detect them. The EEG will get him to hyventilate and that will do it every time. IT can be done in the doc office get him to breathe really hard in there and he will start to have to have them.

I had a daughter with them and o ther sz types and had the ones he had but had a syndrome called JME or Juvenile Myoclonic EPilepsy. Unfortuanlly no one could get a hold on it nad she passed away at 13.

I live on O'ahu, and have a 16 year old s till at home also with epilspy grand mal

I also have epilepsy called TLE or Temporal lobe Epilepsy.

Please do not be scared I know it is NOT easy being a family member who can not be their but seems helpless.

it is very HARD!

Been there done that and still doing it.

Just offering sopme advice and my exxperince with it.

Hope it elps.

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center