Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
pseudo-seizures really?
Susanna posted:
My daughter has been having what looks life passing out and having seizures too. They cant find Anything wrong with her even after she had a 3 hr episode last week. She just had a video eeg all week and still nothing. very confused at how her subcontious could trigger something like this.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Susanna,

How old is your Daughter? The reason I am asking is becuz my daughter has had 3 Video EEG's. Her second one showed no activity. So, they asked her when her mthly was & timed the next video to coincided w/ that. Sure enough, her seizures are due to Hormone changes. This is known as Catamenial Epilepsy. We have more Info on that in our Resources & in the Epilepsy Health Center. There is Lots more on Yahoo &/or Google & other Search Engines. Yes, they tried to tell my daughter they were psuedo, too. But, she Grew Up w/ Family & Seizures & Knew Better.

But, Psuedo Seizures are Very Real. And just as treatable. Just w/ different medications/treatments. Anti-anxiety meds & Psych Counseling. There is, also, the possibility of her having Both, Epilepsy & Psuedo. Stress is the Most Likely cause of Psuedo Seizures. If you need more Info look to your Rite under Popular Discussions. Weblinks for Epilepsy. ninds.....gov/ will have that Info. I believe WebMD has Info in the Epilepsy Health Center, Also.

Do you keep a Journal for her? More Info as to what to Include under Tips on the last page of Tips. I'm gonna Bump it up so you will see it. Know we are here for you & listening if you have more questions or just need Support or a place to vent. HUGS!

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Susanna,

How long has this been going on?

My initial EEGs showed no seizure-like activity. My pediatricians told my family that they were psuedo. My episodes had been witnessed bythe docs, family, friends, and others.

I was being asked all sorts of questions. "Is there trouble at home?", "Are you menstrating?", "Any problems in school?", etc.

Finally, something did show. I think it was about a year later.

You keep asking questions. Along with the notebook that Candi mentions, start one for all the questions you or your daughter have for the docs.

For some reason, seizures tend to play hide-and-seek when an EEG is being done. Mine certainly did. It can be frustrating. The absense of any seizure activity during these tests is not the reason to say that there are no seizures. Timing can be crucial.

Hugs to your daughter. Kids are wonderful and able to handle more than you think. Give her my best.

Hugs to you too,
angie

hula_dancer73 replied to saxofone1's response:
hi susanna and angie,

All my EEGs were and have been abnoram except for the last 2 that showed nothing. My neuro told me that that meanss that my meds at the high doses they are at are working and no szs or activity was present at that time.

He turned up the VNS as well and that helped more.

More than oone lesion on the left temproal lobe so no candidate for surgery. Had to have VNS implant instead.

My first Neuro dxd me with it in April of 03. HE is a GREAT diagnostion but a lousy bed side manner. I left him only to get to an epileptologist whi told me I also had NES, after tu was already dxd with proof. IF it was NES then why was he still giving me meds for it. Doesn't make sence to me.

So after him I got the one I have now. GREAT guy. Had ep all along and was re dxd with EP and TLE. HE was mad at the EMU for what htey did.

Some people can have both types. THey both need seperate treatments. Candi already said that.

When Iwas relased in 04 after 10 days in the EMU they said it was manditory to see a shrink but the one i have now said it wasn;t.

I was put back in the EMU in 07 with the doc I ahve now and it showed more activity than he wanted to see.

2 satring szs adn 3 complex partials.

out with in 6 days.

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center