Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
nocturnal seizure in 59 female
joe_k posted:
my wife suffered a nocturnal seizure a few days ago. Lots of tests at
hospital, No answers! family is concerned that the drug lipitor, started
one day prior to seizure, may be the cause. i have found one pharmacist who told me that "caution should be exercised prior to using lipitor for those patients with seizure disorder". others, including doctors, can find no such precautionary warning. it is not a listed side effect on the pharmacy literature nor is it listed as a side effect on webmd. i am in the initial stages of my search for answers. does anyone have any prior experience with lipitor and seizures or can anyone point me to an authoritative source?

dancer86442 responded:
Joe,

Weblinks for Epilepsy under Popular Discussions, may have an RX link that could prove useful. Especially for Reporting this side effect. Personally, I would go by what the Pharmacist said! DRS are Not always up to speed about med side effects. And print outs do not always have All side effects listed. Some can be Rare or unknown.

Your wife may have a Low Seizure threshold (Meaning she never had seizures but possibly prone to seizures) & the med &/or other factors could be involved. Seizure activity is Most likely to occur in Kids & the Elderly. Although it does Not discriminate. It can occur at any age.

Please read the Journal Info under Tips & Start one Today! Hopefully, the seizure that occurred will be a First & Last. Yes, even that is possible. But, it will help You & the DRS if another occurs.

Did the Drs take her off the Lipitor?

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
sometimes I have them to but NOT in my sleep.I am not consious during them but I have a VNS that shortens up the post-ictal time afterwards.

I have Complex Partial szs. usally during the day but they are random and don not care who they strike when they strike and so on.

THe re ason they have not caughtit yet is becuase it didi occur at night and the EEG isn't picking it up. That is if she had one yet. Request thath she have an ambulatorry EEG or a stay in the hospital in an EMU.

Thta way they can catch her szs at night.

Even if she has no clinical signs. Her brain will show it.

My szs consist of lip licking/smacking and head jerking with breathing patterns that are not normal.

Have you made any atempt to keep a record of all this no matter what it is? You might concider it.

I ahve to. My neuro sees me every 2-3 months aand I have to make one for him. He has not founf a patter n yet other than they are random and refractory. no control.

I have to fly to the mainland to see him. I live in HI on O'ahu, in Honolulu right near the Hard Rock cafe, Waikiki beach and the Straub Hospital.

I had to be in an EMU 2 times to get mine fiugured out.

The fisrt time I was in the hospital for 10 days nad had 2 "questionable" szs, and then they closed it with incunclusive.

Made the nerologist that I have now mad. He ran his own tests to see what would happen.

He put me in the EMU where he wo rked and I had 2 staring szs and 3 MAJOR complex partial szs all in 5 days. Day six I was released.

to this day I take 3 meds and have a VNS. The meds surpass the normal dose. THe Vimpat is at 600 mgs and so is the Lamictal. Normal adult dose is 400 mgs. Also I take 3 mgs of Klonopin.

You may have to ride the med merry go round if you have not already. Candi can tell you about that.

best wishes and good luck.

hula_dancer

hula_dancer73 responded:
what happened here there were 2 postes and now nothing is here.

hula_dancer

plus mine about a weird sz.

hula_dancer

joe_k responded:
thx candi and hulu_dancer for yr thoughts and ideas. this seizure happened as hurrican sandy was nearing our location. wife's headaches and migraines seem to be linked to weather patterns...at times. barometric pressure of this storm was extremely low. i hope the seizure was caused by this event and will not happen again. pursuing info on lipitor and intend to present what i have found to neurologist. however, it appears that there may be some risk involved in taking all statin drugs, not just lipitor (for high cholesterol). by hoping to prevent a future seizure we risk elevated cholesterol levels and the dangers that presents.

dancer86442 replied to joe_k's response:
Joe,

I would recommend watching/changing the Diet. That can Help just as much as Medications. Are you aware that Epilepsy & headaches/Migraines are Linked? Or that Barometric Pressure changes can Trigger seizures, also? Joe, there are soo many different aspects to Epilepsy. And DRS/Neuros aren't always up to speed about Epilepsy. Seek a Second Opinion! Preferably with an Epileptolgist. Visit (link posted in Tips or Resources) to see the list of Drs recommended by others w/ Epilepsy. You don't have to Join to read the articles. She has Lots of Interesting Topics you may want to browse, also.

November IS Epilepsy Awareness Month & Facebook Pages & Groups are dedicated to Spreading Info thru out the World! WebMD posted some Info last Month on Facebook. I am Still awaiting more articles/Info to be posted by them. I Encourage You & your Wife to Continue Learning! I'll be here for you if you have any Questions.

November Is Epilepsy Awareness Month: Love Candi

Helpful Tips

?Epilepsy Meetup? ? Support Groups Around the World
If you're looking for a support group — or if you want to start your own support group — "Epilepsy Meetup" is a fantastic site ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center