Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Antihistamines, sleep and memory.
sprky79 posted:
Hey there!

Looking for some information for my fiance, who is currently on Depakote and Keppra for nocturnal seizures.

We have heard that antihistamines are a no-no when you are being treated for seizures. Is this true? The fiance has had some trouble sleeping lately, and we were trying to find something he could take to help, is there anything you guys use?

Also, can you tell me if you have had any short term memory issues on your medications? The fiance is a full time student and he keeps feeling like he has to work a lot harder now to get his school information INTO his brain. If you have had some memory issues, how did you work around them?

Thank you!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello sprky,

I use anti-histamines. I take ' generic' Suphedrine (SP??) But, I am not on the same meds as your BF. It would be best to ask your Pharmacist what to use. Any meds & over-counter meds Mite interact badly. Your Pharmacist Knows What's what! Same w/ Sleep Aides! If he continues to have sleep problems he should discuss it w/ his DR. Our meds can cause sleep issues. But, then again, it may be a sleep Disorder.

Short term memory is an issue w/ a lot of drugs &/or Epilepsy. Exercise is now Proven as the Best way to get our brains functioning. In the past, it was memory games/puzzles, etc. Try Both, together. Can't hurt.

There is another Option for Students. Please visit efa.org/ Living with Epilepsy tab or Search. Link to the Epilepsy Foundation of America, should be in Resources or Tips. Or just use your search tool. Your Fiance can get an extension on papers/projects/tests, etc. if/when needed. He will need to discuss this w/ School Counselor &/or Nurse, Plus, Inform his Teachers. There is another Link in resources under Teacher Fact Sheet. That site can provide you w/ Helpful Info, also.

Thank You for joining us. If you have more questions/concerns, please visit again. I would like to encourage you to Continue Learning about Epilepsy & all it's aspects. Also, start a Daily Journal for your Fiance. It is More than just a Seizure Tracker & will be a very Useful Tool to both of you & his DR! See Journals under Tips.

November Is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Spread the Word. Encourage your friends to take the GetSmartQuiz on EFA.org. And read the Now I Know article. HUGS!

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
YEs, the yare.

When I was in the EMU in 04 they are the gold standard to produce szs thta can be monitored,

Worked for me. They gave me Benadyl and with in 30 minutes I had a sz,

Most of them will do that.

Don't use psuedofed or anything that has it in it. That also causes szs to occur.

I found out the hard way. I had some cough syrup with Codiene in it with Phenergen in it and while it stopped the cough the Phenergen is an anti-hisamine.

I have Complex Partial szs and never did that again.

I do not know why they do that but they can.

Ih ave a new PCP, because I live in HI on O'ahu.

They might stimulate the nervous system and brain and casue the neurons to misfire. IT is really a mystery to me, but they used those 2 drugs in the unit to cause szs and i had 2. They said they were inconclusive, and after 10 days snet me home.

THen in 07 I was in the EMU again with a different neurologist and he ran his own testing, and I had 2 staring szs and then I had 3 MAJOR Complex Partial szs. All of them had to be stopped with IV Ativan

That was all in 6 days.

THen he turned me loose and I went on with living. I have one 16 year old and have been married for 18 years,

I also have Ep my self and so does my daugter and I lost one to ep and she had JME that was a rare form and no one could get a hold of it and she p assed away about 2-3 yearas ago.

When I was in school, Collge I had alot of trouble. I was given 14 accomadations to help me thru school. Things were waived and absece were not counted because I did not feel good but never kneo I had ep. After we moved PHX I was dxd with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy in my left lobe.

That was in aril of 03.

My short temr memeory stinks,and I can not remember that musch,

I can be walking down the hall and then can not rmember what it was why I was going down there for then returend to whatever I was doing.

Sometimes someone can ask me something and 30 seconds I cna not remember wehat it was that was said. Do not feel like a loner, it can toi any one.

HAve him go to the disabilties for student ceneter and see if he can get accomdations like I did and willl help alot. It helped me alot. I went from c's and d's to all Bs and some As and a c thrwon in for good measure,.

It should be there somehwere in his college, most of them do. He just has tio ask around to find out where it is.

My szs are all random. I have had diffeernt types and so I have to watch it sometimes Ihave to wear a helpmet fropm falls to protect my haed.

Most of my szs are Complex Partial szs.

I take 3 mgs of Klonopin, 600 mgs of Vimpat, and 600 mgs of Lamitcal. The Keppra can cause some insomina.

You need to ask your neuro what there is to take that is safe that he can take at night that will not harm or cause more szs to accur.

Best of luck!

hula_dancer

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center