Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
first seizures!!!
mommywifey11 posted:
hi my husband is 25 years old, two years ago he had a grandmal seizure out of no where, they put him on dilanting 300 ml aday, was seizure free for a year and stopped taking the medicine, about 7 months later he came in from work and went to bed and had another grandmal seizure in his sleep...(this past feb) he is now taking dilantin again 300 ml everyday ...these are the only two seizures he has had... he did have brain surgery when he was 14 years old...my question is he was working 7am to 4pm going to bed between 9 and 11 each night.. well he justg switched jobs and is not working 4om to 12am this is a big switch in his sleep schedule, Im making sure he is still getting @ least 8 hrs of sleep from the time he lays down @ night but how much will this effect him??

dancer86442 responded:
mommy,

It may take Time for his system to adapt to the new hrs. Hopefully, since he is still getting Required 8 hrs of sleep, it Won't affect him. Be sure he is eating Nutritiously, also. A Large factor in helping to prevent seizure activity. High Protein (good Fats) & Low Carbs. Gluten Free helps too. Are you keeping a Daily Journal? More Info as to what to include in our Tips. BTW: Be Sure he gets Extra Calcium Citrate! Dilantin is Known to rob people of this Vitamin! Ask your Pharmacist about a Good Daily Vitamin, also. Learn Lots about this medication! Side effects are what we watch for, not what will necessarily be. But, forewarned is Still the Best Policy!

Thank You for being His Caretaker. For Loving & Supporting him. Continue to Educate yourself about All Aspects of Epilepsy & Treatments. Including 'alternatives' It can/will be useful info in the Future. Our Resources & Weblinks for Epilepsy under Popular Discussions are many, but, can prove Useful/insightful. Worth cheking out. Hugs!

Love Candi November is Epilepsy Awareness Month! Wear Purple. Plus, Shine a Black Lite in your window or outside your door to show people you Support Epilepsy Awareness. You can Learn More Ways to show your support at efa.org

mommywifey11 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thank you, I have tried very hard to eduacate myself , it was very scary each time he had his seizures.. He is stil trying to accept that he has seizures even though it has been 3 years he takes taking medicine everyday, I have to be like his mom and make him take it but Im there for him ... It scares me though if I think he is really tired I wont go to sleep until he has been asleep for a couple of hrs to make sure he doesnt have a seizure in his sleep, I wont let him get to stresed its scary... BBut so far with the new job he is doing well...I just dont know hhow long to be on the high alert of him stating the new sleep schedule .....its been 4 days today...also what are the chances of still having a seizure while taking the dilantin?

dancer86442 replied to mommywifey11's response:
mommywifey: If he is taking his medication On Time everyday, chances are Good for staying Seizure-free. It's been Months since he started his Med Regimen & he hasn't had any Seizures Since. So it sounds to me like his med/dose works for him!

Get Off High Alert. You need Proper Rest, too. To Avoid Caretaker Burn Out! I Guarantee, if he has one while asleep, you Will 'Wake Up' ! My Hubby has been my Caretaker for 25 yrs. I Think he grew used to my 'episodes' & they no longer Scare him. If they do, he doesn't tell me. He just let's me sleep afterwards & Recover at my own Pace. Course, the Only 'convulsions' I have experienced during those Yrs was due to Missed Meds.

Denial is not Uncommon. I know it took several Yrs for me to Accept the fact that I had a Seizure Disorder. I 'Woke Up' after I had an incident in my GF's Bathroom. I wasn't on Any Medication at the time, becuz, I refused to believe I had a Problem. Even though the Military had diagnosed me. But, they did not Explain what Seizures were or what Mite Occur. I don't know how many seizures I had before or after the bathroom incident. But, once I sought Help, it took me 10 yrs & Numerous DRS & Med/dose changes to Finally get a med that worked for me. Then another 4-5 yrs B4 I decided to Learn More about Epilepsy. I will always be Thankful that I found the Support of this group. I noted the Need of Education & Support for others'. So, when others' Left or moved on, I stayed. I continue to 'Pay It Forward' now. I have been here for 20 yrs. And w/in the Past 10 yrs have 'Spread my Wings', to other Groups & share what I have learned. What I Learned: Epilepsy affects 65 million people Worldwide. It is Misunderstood by the Majority of the General Public, Research & Medical assistance is Underfunded & Epilepsy is a Never-Ending, Forever-Learning Journey.

Have you considered Books as a Resource to Help your Hubby? One of the First Books I Heard about Here & Still the Most Recommended Book: Treating Epilepsy Naturally by Patricia Murphy. You can ask your Local Research Librarian about the availability of this book. Or purchase it on Amazon.com. Amazon has a List of Other books that may prove useful, too. Take the List w/ you to the Local Library.

Keep us updated on how you & Hubby are Coping! Know we Care! My Opinion: Caretakers Deserve Our Support, too! HUGS!

Love Candi Wear Purple this Month! Or every Month! Show your Support! Speak Up! Stay Strong!

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center