Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Epilepsy & Yoga
ncach posted:
I am 47 and have seizers for last 7 years. It happens to me only while sleep for 30 - 40 secs. The frequency has increased from 2-3 times to now 5-6 times a year. I have done many MRIs which has diagnosed a stable cortical displasia. The EEG always came normal. I am trying to avoid allopathic drugs but also worried if get worsening. Any suggestions?
I am trying with homeopathic medicines for last 7 months but no improvement. Is there any other natural way can be tried?

Is there negative effect of deep breathing or any breathing exercises on seizers? Some times I have experienced seizer attacks while doing the same. Recently some yoga classes also adviced me not to do the breathing exercices if patient of epillepsy.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello ncach,

Welcome to my Home Away from Home& our Epland Family.

First: Increase in Seizures: WHY? Your brain has taught itself to seize. My Daughter went from just One Focal Point (origin of Seizures) to Spread & Involve Both Left & Rite Lobes. W/in 10 yrs! Due to Non-Control!

Tests: All my EEG's Have been Normal for over 30 Yrs. I had a Portable EEG done about 2 yrs ago. Activity was Found. But, not what I expected. Spikes, which Usually determine Seizure activity were never recorded. Possibilities: No seizure Activity at the time of test or Focal Point was/is buried too Deep in the brain to detect Activity. Anyway, the Portable recorded Wavy Lines. Which I learned from another Group Was a Type of Seizure. (My Neuro neglected to Tell Me! ) Wavy Line Syndrome. WLS is mainly detected in Children. They are Seizures that happen Silently as we sleep. My 'witnessed' seizures have been, mainly, Convulsions AKA Gran Mal AKA Tonic-Clonic. Over the past 5 Yrs I have noted other Types: Absence & Abdominal Seizures. My First Test was a Cat Scan. It showed a Shadow on my brain. All MRI's have not detected a Shadow. I am not sure if I have Left/Right or Temporal Epilepsy. Or all 3. It is Possible to have all 3 &/or occipital Lobe affected.

Suggestions: Have you considered Diets? There are Several that have been Proven effective for Some! Your Homeopathic MD Should have Info for you & be able to Start you on a chosen Diet!! To Learn More: Visit epilepsytalk.com (link posted in Tips or Resources. ) You do not need to join to read her articles or use the Search Tool on her Site. Only if you have Questions or want to Leave a Comment.

Yoga has been recommended for Epilepsy. But, recent Research has reported Yoga as Bad for Some. Mainly due to Muscles used/abused. I guess it's the Same w/ Breathing Exercises. What works for One, may not work for Another. It is the Same for Any Treatment. 'Trial & Error.' Personally, I have to do 'Pursed Lip' Breathing exercise for my Lungs. But, others' w/ Epilepsy use it for calming B4 or after a seizure (some have reported success in stopping a seizure when they note an 'aura' ), sleep aide, panic attacks, etc. This involves breathing from the diaphragm. Inhaling thru nose, hold 5 seconds or more. Release thru Pursed Lips. Always release Longer than Inhale. 2-3 times is all it takes to fill our brain w/ Good Oxygen & calm the Neurons that cause Problems.

We All experience Different Triggers. The Deep Breathin May be one of Yours. Or any other number of Triggers. IE: Certain Music can soothe some & Certain Music can trigger seizures in others. Do you keep a Daily Journal? Please chek under Tips For More Info as to what Needs to be recorded since you Still have, infrequent, yet, active Seizures. A Pattern will Evolve w/ Time. Be sure to take your Journal w/ you to all DR appts.

We have Lots of Weblinks & Resources. Please Keep Learning! Knowledge IS Power!

Feel Free to visit Again. Ask more questions, Vent, answer questions from others &/or be Supportive. I'll be Listening. Cyberspace HUGS!

Love Candi: November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Wear Purple &/or place a black lite in your window or wherever, to show your Support to Raise Awareness. Visit efa.org to Learn More ways to show your Support & send the GetSmartQuiz to All your Friends.

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center