Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    An_249758 posted:
    I saw this discussion on seizures, and couldn't help but post my own. My son is going on 30 years old. Has started having seizures last January. He racked up the hospital and dr. bills for a couple of months and just quit trying. He does have a problem with alcohol, and lost his job. He and his girl friend are living off her wages as a motel clerk. That relationship is very unstable and that drives him to drink also. I took him into Social Security to apply for SSI but haven't heard from them in a month. My son hasn't even had an EEG yet. He was in a critical car accident about 6 years ago, and I am thinking that is what brought the seizures on. But since he cannot afford the medical treatment, he just continues to try to live life. Is there any assistance out there for medical help for people having seizures? Any suggestions appreciated!
    dancer86442 responded:
    Visit the Epilepsy Site & Search for an affiliate in your State. Contact them for assistance. Your son is going to have to face facts, soon. Alcohol can/will cause seizure activity, also.

    Another suggestion: Search for Clinical Trials in or around your State. They will pay All expenses. Since All our medications are 'trial & error' it can't hurt to be a volunteer to try new medications.

    BTW: He will Have to see a Neuro & have his Status Confirmed in order to receive SSI. If he isn't working he may qualify for State assistance. Visit your Dept of Economic Security (Human Resources) for further Information.

    I hope you will keep us up to date on his progress. HUGS!

    Love Candi
    hula_dancer73 responded:
    when it comes to trying to get SSI or SSDI you have to have EVERY card of every doctor that has a phone # and address. You haveto have EVERYTHING and procedure dociumented on a day book or calandar and an explaniton for everything. Even the possible procedures that may be possible have to be brought up.

    THey DO CALL all the docs on the papers and cards you give them to verify eveyrhing to gave them. TTHey check with them about the dates you gave them about the procedured and events to make sure you are truthful (dome people are not and try to fleece the system).

    sometimes it can take up to 6 months to hear back from them. You need to knwo that htey deal with hundreds of people a day at least if not more,

    When I lived in PHX I sat in the SSI office with about 75 or more people in ther and more coming thru the doors for 2 hrs and 45 minutes. FOtunalty for me I had my day book half the cards I needed and my mom had all the rest of it.

    THis was in Jan of 2003 and in June I got the back payments that s tarted in Jan of that same year and it was a good hunk of money.

    To this day I stioll get SSDI and will for the rest of my life even though I am married.

    I am glad I got it when I did cause HI has things just a little bit diffeerent and I had to have all that same info to give to them when applying with them, but I also had to have different docs except for my neurologist my TMJ specialst, I fly back to the mainland for those 2.

    But itcan take a while tothear from them, and sometimes they can decline you as well making it difficult to appeal for a second try. I have several other frends with ep and they were disgusted with that whole system.

    Candi is correct with the DES stuff. when I lived in PHX I got food stamps through them. I do not havethem in HI anymore. I plain just did not go there again. We can afford the food.

    I Wish you the very best of luck wuith your voyage with the SSI system.

    It can be hard sometimes....I have been there and done that and it can be NO fun, especailly while waiting to hear. Like I said it took 6 months before I heard back. So it may just take some time.

    BEst wishes.


    I live in HI on O'ahu in the Wiakiki area of downtown Honolulu.

    Helpful Tips

    Want to read "discussions" only?
    Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 29 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center