Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
How can you make a denying epilepsy patient start taking medication or control of his disease?
djmast04 posted:
How can you make a denying epilepsy patient start taking medication or control of his disease?
My father has had epilepsy seizures for a while now (few years).
Seizures ranged from mild to severe (including discharge & a long period of denial)
He used to take medication and it worked. But he had some mental/fundamental issues with medication (supposedly makes him depressed) & he refuses to take it. He is in pure denial thinkin he is a healthy individual and dsn't need medication.
He is v. stubborn and blames us for his stress & being pushy.

Are there laws for it? Rehab without cooperation?

hula_dancer73 responded:
I would continue to be pushy to him to take his meds. HE is not healthy and DOES need his meds.

IF the meds he is on makes him depressed time for a new one or one added to it. I take 3 and take them every day.

I also ahve a VNS that can control both szs and hard to treat depression as well. I only have it for my hard to control szs.

I am not sure about laws for people in denial and not taking their meds nor rehab for him to start aking them again. IT is really up to him. If he wants to keep having szs then that is his desion but you still need to be pushy and even bossy to get him to take them.

what dies he take? and for how long? HE may ahveto tkae moreor another one like i said ealirler.

Riding the med-merry-go-round as Candi calls it to try and get the right drug or drug combinations. I had to do it for years before they found the right one for me.

my neurologist inherited me with 2 of the 3 drugs I am on now. I came to him from another neuro.

He is in the pr ocess of taking me off the Vimpat tha was at 600 mgs and just the othe day cut in half so now i am at 300 mgs and when Iget to him on the 13th of next month he will finish taking me off it while putting me on somehting else.

Vimpat is a VERY strong AED and is a class V sceduled drug a controlled substance.

GOod luck with him and his szs. I hope that ou acn get him back on them and he feels better soon.

Nancy

I live in HI on O'ahu in teh Waikiki district of downtown Honolulu.

dancer86442 responded:
Actually, there are Laws Against Forcing one to take medications. Except when Court Ordered. But, honestly, the Epilepsy Bill of Rights Claims we have the Rite to Refuse any medications/treatments. My Sis did for over 50 yrs. Severe depression is what made her confess to DR her seizure status. She still remains Med free. She is on a Diet prescribed for people w/ seizure disorders.

Unfortunately, we Are Healthy Individuals. So, denial is Easy. If he is Stubborn, then I doubt you would convince him to seek Support from others' w/ Epilepsy. Or counseling from a Therapist.

Our brains misfire at inappropriate times. He will regret his decision if/when he wakes up to the fact the seizures haven't gone away & hopefully, he will not harm himself or others. Have you considered videoing him during an 'episode'.? Make him watch it! How long has he been off his meds? Did a Dr wean him off, properly.

Despite his refusal to take meds, he still needs your support. The best way to do that is to Treat Him Normal! You may not be intentionally trying to 'stress' him, but, being 'pushy' will do that to us 'stubborn' old folks' I know you are very concerned for your Dad, so, continue to talk w/ us. Vent All You Want! Hugs! BTW: Do you Avoid 'caretaker burnout'?

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi dj,

Parents can sure become our problems as they get older. A possilbe payback for all the troubles they say we were.

Some of the seizure meds are known for mood swings. His past depression could be the result of one of those previous meds.

Do you remember what he was taking? If so, look it up and check out the possible side-effects.

How long was he on his previous med? Stopping meds w/o medical supervision is never very good. If he stopped only after a short period, the meds never had a chance to reach a productive(or theraputic) level. And his body/brain never had the time to adjust.

I like Candi's idea about video taping an episode. I often wish camcordere were around when I starting having them. I always wondered what mine looked like. No way am I going to trust my brother on this.

Stay positive and try to be as supportive as possible with your father.

Is he stubborn or could it be fear, or a bit of both? Is he embarrassed about having these electrical storms going off?

Hang in there. Welcome to the family.
angie

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center