Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Understanding Lamotrigine and Seizres
Keely357 posted:
In September I saw a neurologist for having the same conversation twice with no recollection of the second with a roommate. A subsequent MRI showed nothing wrong. I have no history of seizures but last week a co-worker found me his words "having a seizure" I have no recollection of it except coming to in the ambulance 15 minutes later. The emergency room doctor after doing blood work and a head ct and eeg three days later (sleep deprived): all came back negative The emergency room doctor prescribed Lamotrigine 25 mg two weeks then 50 mg for two weeks that day.
The neurologist from September without seeing me prescribed 100 mg twice a day of Lamotrigine then went on sick leave and the covering neurologist said that was the proper dosage to prevent another seizure. I cannot get into see any neurologist for a month can you guys give me some advice I am really worried about increasing the dosage so high with out seeing a neurologist in person is this dosage correct or common after a seizure?

hula_dancer73 responded:
Every one is different.

THe dose may be coorect for you depending on you szs and sz type and or types.

I take 600 mgs of Lamictal and it works. I jsut had the Vimpat cut in half so now I take 300 mgs of i t becuase it was causeing major problems with side effects. and it will be remoed in the next visit.

My neurlogist does NOT want anyone else taking care of me so when he is out of town the call me and just reschedule it.

That dose depnds on you and your threshold and it taylored to jsut you. No one else can acutally tell you if that is correct for you becuase it has been set up for you specifficallty,

My l;amictal it 200 mgs OVER the regualr adult doasage.

So was the Vimpat and I take 3 mgs of Klonopin and have a VNS implant as well.

The covering neurologist has all your records so he can study it and then evaulate you for more lamictal if they feel it is necassary. If the neurologist caomes back and decided it is to much HE will lower it.

Have the faith, it will all work out.

BEst wishes to you and your meds

Nancy

I live in HI on O'ahu in th e Waikiki districe of downtown Honolulu.

Keely357 replied to hula_dancer73's response:
Thank you, but that was my first ever seizure so that is why I do not understand the large dosage.

Keely357

hula_dancer73 replied to Keely357's response:

They sould have waited until you had another one. 2 szs=epilepsy and so far y ou ahve only one, and probably shold not have been put on anything until the second sz. But for some reason he felt the need to have you on it and I am not sure why. some people only have one sz in their life itme and never have another one. so putting you on a med this early in the game was really not smart.

They used the starter pack on me but thta was af ter I had several EEGS that came back abnormal and the dx of epilepsy was established.

all my EEGs have been abnormal except for the last set several months ago which ment my meds were working.

they may have you on tha dose to prevent a second one. but is was wrong of that second doctor to play with fire and put you on more than what you were already on.

no one knows it that is the rigtht dose except your doc whoe went on sick leave. hopefully when he ge ts back he can fix the mess and straighten everything out.

you need to talk to Candi. post her a message on these boards adn see what she says. You ae ina very confusing mess right now and need help.

best of luck adn I hope that everything gets better and stragitned around.

Nancy

saxofone1 responded:
Hi keely,

Welcome to the family.

It is quite common for EEGs to be negative of any seizure disturbances. Seizures have a tendency to hide when one is being tested for a seizure disorder or epilepsy.

Many of us have started off with low dosages with steady increases of a short period of time. This is usually done to get the body used to a new med and also work toward the higher dosage the doc seeks. This is called reaching the theraputic level(a daily dosage that is effective in controlling/reducing the seizures.)

Possibly the neuro has seen the tests and felt that the Lamotrigine was the best med at the time.

Are you keeping notes on how you feel daily with the med?

Many of us keep a notebook for such info. Think about starting one if you haven't already. Your entries might include change of diet, side-effects of the meds, mood swings, etc. Take these notes with you when you visit the neuro next month. Doctors are always grateful for such info. This is a good time to forming questions for the appt. Put those in that notebook too.

Do your best to keep an open mind. Stay in touch with us.

a new friend,
angie

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center