Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Sick Child With Epilepsy, Help!
klht86119 posted:
Please help, I have a daughter who has Epilepsy. She takes Zonegran 50mg's at bedtime, she is only 4 years old. However, for the past 4 days she has been sick with influenza, she has been running high temps and been very sick. I am having an extremly difficult time getting her to take her whole dose of medication. Today is Monday, she hasn't had the full dose since Friday, she didn't get any on Saturday and only got half of it on Sunday, and while I was giving to her on Sunday she was gagging and screaming the whole time. Generally I open the capsule and mix it in with chocolate pudding, applesauce or yogurt. But she hasn't eaten anything since Thursday night and she is barely taking in fluids. I took her to ER on Saturday and they gave her one bag of IV fluids. Today she drifts in and out of lethargy and sleep. She's had 3 wet diapers today and will take small sips of fluids occasionally. But with her being this sick I am extremely concerned about getting her meds in her! What can I do?! I've called her doctor and she hasn't called me back yet, I've been searching the internet for an answer and can't find anything. Please help.

hula_dancer73 responded:
You should take her back to the ER and have her meds in jected thru an IV if they permit so.

I have had that happen to me where I couldn't keep things down as an adult and had to ahve 12 different meds thru IV. Only 3 of them for szs. They rest were for diffeernt problems.

That is the only way she will get the med even if you have to go every dayuntil she can keep things down.

I read up in my RN drug book and all my meds are injectabel thru IV with the exception of one, and that one can be lived with out.

TRy this and see if they can or are willing to do that. The longer you woat to see what happens with her the morse dehydrated she will be come.

GO back to that ER and if you don't like that one find another one but she has to have them injected if possible.

Nancy
I live on O'ahu in the Waikiki district of downtown Honolulu.

dancer86442 responded:
Mom, How is our Daughter doing today? Are you giving her Pedialyte to help w/ dehydration? Maybe mix the capsule/powder in w/ a Small amount of Pedialyte & try an eyedropper or similar tool to get the mixture down. If she is only sipping, this may be an easier way to get a full dose down. Promise her a 'reward' if she doesn't fite you & takes the full dose. A Movie, game, new coloring book, etc.

I guess you know, Pudding & Yogurt should be avoided while she is sick. WebMD has an article on treating the Flu. Use the Search tool up top to locate it. Chicken Soup is Still the best remedy! I wish I knew what else to tell you. If what I suggested doesn't work, then, Nancy is rite. She may need to be admitted to the hospital from the ER to get proper attn. I would Insist! Let them know you are worried about seizure activity due to High Fever.

Please keep us updated. Know I Care! HUGS!

Love Candi

klht86119 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hey, sorry I haven't been back to update! I'm happy to report that my daughter is doing so much better. She is back to her normal self. I did finally get the meds down her by mixing them in two teaspoons of apple juice and drawing them up in a syringe then forcing her to take it. She hasn't had any more break through's since she got over the flu. Thank you both for your help and concern.

dancer86442 replied to klht86119's response:
Hello Mom,

Thank You soo much for letting us know. I'm glad the syringe worked. That is what I meant by 'similar tool' I just couldn't think of the word for it.

Please visit again & when you are ready,tell us about you & your daughters' Journey w/ Epilepsy. Feel free to ask questions, comment or vent. Know we care. HUGS!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center