Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
healthy baby
speak posted:
hi WebMD , i'm 38 years old and suffers with Epilepsy but haven't had a fit in almost 3 years , i wants to have a baby what are my chances of having a healthy baby with Epilepsy? i am so scared as my husband wants us to have a baby so much . please can any one tell me what to do

dancer86442 responded:
Please, do not let Epilepsy stand in the way of you & Hubby's Dream of having a Child. I had my Son at age 38. I was considered High Risk due to Age & Epilepsy. I had just been placed on a med that was controlling my seizures, Thank Goodness. My Son was born w/ some problems. But, all were said to be due to my Age. (Except for short term memory Issues or as Dad says 'selective memory' he is Fine Now! ) But, of course that was 25 yrs ago. Lots of Ladies w/ EP & on medication have had Healthy Babes. Best Advice, I can give you for now: Start taking Folic Acid! (Discuss w/ your Neuro or Pharmacist First) Discuss your plans w/ your Neuro! He may want to lower your dose when you conceive or change your med B4 you conceive. (Some meds are better than others' during PG. But, hard to say Which, since our systems tend to be soo different!) Then seek a Good Ob/Gyn & make Sure the neuro & OB Talk/communicate w/ each other & You!

I do hope you will visit again. Feel free to comment on other posts, ask questions or vent. Know I am Listening!

HUGS! Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center