Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
symptoms...
Pile_Epsy posted:
Hi.

My four-year-old wakes each night at 4:00 am; this has been going on for two weeks. Before that, she was kicking her bed-mate in the night, quite hard. (In the past two weeks she's had no bed-mate.)

Then one night I checked on her while she slept (long before 4:00 am) and discovered that she was making odd motions with her lips and cheeks and eyes in her sleep, motions that immediately made me think 'seizure' (not that I've ever seen one).

Should I be concerned this may be a form of epilepsy?

Thanks,

Pile

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Pile,

I cannot say for sure. So, my suggestion: Install a baby monitor w/ video/sound (used at thrift store or yard sale if you don't still have one) or purchase a spy cam (radio shack is reasonable) Tape More than One night.& then take the tapes to her pediatrician. He will recommend a neuro if need be.

Love Candi

ktdid70 responded:
This coukd just be from nightmares, but since she is having them quite often you need to bring it up with your pediatrition. My nephew startede having stragne episodes in th middle of the night that he would drool, call out, cry mumble and even wet his bed. All while asleep it scared my sister and her husband so they took himto his dr then to a neurologist ad after an eeg found he has benign rolandic seizures which most kids grow out of w/o roblems though he is on med s to let him sleep and not have any.
Best thing I can say is settle your fears and tallk toyour dr about it. Better to talk to it then worry and not get help if needed.
Good luck

Helpful Tips

Hey Guys!
Need an extra hand? We help everyone! In ANY and EVERY way we can! Call now and ask us what makes us different than all the other ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center