Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
How to help child fearful
GrandmaGallagher posted:
My grandson started having seizures last year. Ben is 12yrs. He had a malignant brain tumor removed when he was 3 yrs. He is in remission and has been doing weel till this. The problem is he is terrified about having a seizure. He can't sleep unless someone is with him. He is afraid to do anything for fear it will bring one on. He gets so upset that he has headaches and I think his fear may be contributing to the seizures. Does anyone have any advise or know of any books that might help us put him at ease? Thank you

dancer86442 responded:
Hello GrandmaGallagher,

Welcome to WebMD Epilepsy Community. So sad that your Grandson is no longer in remission. Hopefully his Neuro can find a medication or Alternative Treatment (I recommend Diets such as the Atkins or Ketogenic) to control them again. More Alternatives can be found at coping-with-epilepsy.com. Link provided in our Resources.or use your Search Engine.

Yes, there are books available for all ages. You can find a List of books on efa.org or epilepsytalk.com Use the Search Tool on either of these sites. No need to join any sites mentioned, to read Info. The majority of these books can be found on Amazon.com. But, I would take note of Titles/Authors & ask your Local Research Librarian about Availability of Books you are interested in. They can Borrow them from another County or even Search Book Stores for 'Used' books.

Possible solutions that may make him more comfortable at nite. There are now Seizure mats to detect seizure activity at nite. Or the newest invention: a Seizure Detecting Watch. A Cheaper solution would be to place a video/sound Baby Monitor in his room. Chek Thrift Stores or Yard Sales. Or purchase a Spy Cam that are fairly cheap at Radio Shack.

Please read our Journal Info under Tips. Be sure his caretaker is noting Everything so possible Triggers can be Identified.

Please keep us posted &/or ask more Questions. Know we Care! HUGS!

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi GrandmaG,

Welcome to the family.

Candi, as usual, has voiced my thoughts.

Does your grandson have any questions for us? If so, please be his spokesperson and ask.

What type of seizures does this young gentleman have? Seizures can be scarey or so I'm told. My first one was the spring of '75.

Amazon is loaded with books about epilespy. Hope your grandson and the family can find some relief soon.

Keep us posted.

angie

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

How Music Soothes Your Seizures
Another Interesting article from Phylis. Just clik on the Highlighted Words. You Do Not have to Joint the Site to read Any of her articles. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center