Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
hello
An_251666 posted:
Hello everyone Im knew to this, I was diagnosed with JME when I was 17 and now Im 27. I have been taking Depakote and I had my first seizure when I was 19 and my second one when I was 22. I havent had another one since. I was just on here wondering if any of you ladies or husbands have had children ? I get sad and worried at times because I just wish I didnt have to put this medication in my body. Any support out there or stories

dancer86442 responded:
Hello, I apologize for not answering sooner. Welcome to Epilepsy Community, Epland.

Have you asked your DR about getting PG on this Drug? IF you Want to get PG, I have talked to a Lot of EP Wanna be Moms & Moms. All of them consider talking to your Neuro & Ob/Gyn First. Be sure they are Communicating. Other than that, so many of us have gone forward & had perfectly Healthy, Happy Kids. Me included. I was considered High Risk due to Age, too. Next to this post you swill see a tool bar 'Search This Community' Type in Epilepsy & Pregnancy & you can read what others have had to say over the yrs.

OK Help me here. You were diagnosed w/ JME at 17? But, no seizures till 19? What was happening that the dr tested & concluded JME at 17? Also, you have only had 2 seizures & a lot of DRS would be recommending taking you Off your med. This can be done after 2 yrs seizure free on meds. If seizures re-occur, you could try a new/safer med. If the Depakote is not Conducive for using while PG.

Keep us posted. More questions? I will be here. Hugs!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center