Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Why am I in such a bad mood all the time? Keppra?
KeppraUser32 posted:
I have these moments when I turn into a complete A-hole. I'm normally in a grumpy/surly mood, but for no reason that I can identify. I have good job, drive a nice car, have a big house and a really great wife. These moments are followed but a brief period of lucidity, where I feel somewhat guilty, confused, remorseful and in disbelief at how nasty I can be. Guilty because I start fights with my wife over the stupidest things (I think I'm looking for confrontation). Confused because my behavior is completely at odds at what I want to accomplish (example, I love my wife, but my behaviour is making her consider leaving me. She hasn't said this, but if I was in her shoes I would be thinking the same thing).

I'm fairly introverted, so I've been moody in the past, but it usually just means I need time alone to recharge. At the risk of confusion "enhanced introversion" with KeppraRage, I wanted to send this out there to see if I can get any feedback.

Parents/friends/spouses seem really good about reaching out for help. But I haven't read many posts from people who are actually taking it. Perhaps it's because it's difficult to come to terms with this type of behaviour problem, because it means admitting that you have a behavior problem and that the rest of the world isn't stupid.

I'm hoping to catch the attention of someone who uses Keppra, introverted and confused about their extreme moodiness or behaviour.

It's tough to admit that maybe I'm just a jerk, but I haven't always been this way, and I don't want to go through life being this way. I'm accomplished professionally and academically, but I can't seem to control this moodiness.

Help!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dancer86442 responded:
Hi KeppraUser,

I see you are aware that your meds may be the cause of your moodiness. I don't take Keppra, but, my Daughter Did & I've been hearing about Keppra Rage for YRS from others on this site & other Sites. There is a very easy solution to help you. Please Add B6 to your vitamin regimen. Not B Complex, just B6 by itself. Ask your pharmacist about proper dose to take.

Did you use our 'Search This Community' Tool to find related posts/conversations? I Know you definitely are Not alone w/ this problem. I really think it's great that you Are willing to admit you have a problem & need answers. Can you answer a few for me? How many yrs have you had your 'seizure disorder'? How Long have you been on Keppra? If you are driving & working, then that leads me to believe your seizures are 'under control'. So Congratulations.

Please, take Time to explain to your wife about your meds & let her Know that you are going to try to alleviate the 'mood swings' w/ the Vitamin. Also, be sure to let your Neuro know!

BTW: This Group appreciates Caregivers, too. So, if your wife would like to talk w/ us, we will be Happy to hear from her, also. Education & Support are Vital to All involved w/ Epilepsy.

Please let us know if the B6 works for you. Give it a week or 2 to build up in your system. Hopefully, you & your wife will note the Difference.

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi KeppraUser,

Welcome to the family.

I started taking Keppra in the 90s. I am currently on KeppraXR.

I have not experienced the mood swings that others on Keppra have talked about. Maybe it is because the other meds I also take are blocking such reactions.

I was on one back in the 70s that made me an 'A-hole' as well. I was so glad to off of that one.

I don't think that you're a jerk. Simply someone who is experiencing bad side effects from a med.

Is this your first anti-seizure med? Might simply be that Keppra isn't the right one for you.

Say hello to your wife from all of us. I like Candi's idea of asking her to join us. This is a great place for her to rant her concerns.

You reached out for support/answers. To me, that makes you are strong person.

Have a good day,
angie

BlazingTiger responded:
Hi KeppraUser,
I at one time used Keppra for my seizures. It was not a good experience either. I am refering to the most common side effect. The Keppra Rage. Needless to say that was a side effect that I found unacceptable. I do not think you are a jerk. This is deffinitly med related. Are you taking any other meds for anything else? I would try what Candi said. I see a person looking for answers. That is the first step to solving the mood problem. Are your seizures controlled? Also the thing comes to mind about what Candi said at 1 time about diet. Maybe altering it a little might help to. Best wishes & keep us posted.

Jason

KeppraUser32 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi Candi, thanks for the response. I'll certainly try this. I've been using B6 in the past, but wasn't very diligent in keeping up with it.

Seizures are under control, my last seizure was in 2003. My first seizure was about 10 years before that when I was 14. Good news is that it led to a CT scan and they discovered a brain tumor. Brain tumor was removed shortly afterwards, but I was instructed to stay on meds for the next 5 years.

Started with tegretol, but it turned me into a zombie. Quickly changed over to Dilantin, but found it made me "cognitively dull". After no seizures, I weaned myself off the medication in 1999, when I went away to University. Had a seizure in 2003, and went back on Dilantin.

I learned about Keppra and changed over about a year ago. I regained my "quick wit". Appear to be some side effects from what I'm seeing though.

dancer86442 replied to KeppraUser32's response:
Hi Ku,

Thank You for your reply! Honey, Every AED has Side Effects. We just don't know if We will develop them or not until we try the med. A Nutritious Diet is Supposed to help diminish & even in some cases eliminate Side Effects. So, between the B6 & eating Healthy meals you may be able to put a Stop to some of the side effects.

I started w/ Dilantin. I was sooo naive, I thought I was 'cured' after a month of meds. When Drs put me back on them a yr later, it was Awful. Tegrestol was Next. Then 3 more med changes. Took me 10 yrs, but, I finally found control w/ Phenobarbital (180mg). I have been seizure free, except for some breakthrus due to missed meds, for 25 yrs. I 'tolerate' the excessive tiredness. I had No Clue about Mood Swings, as a Side Effect of my meds. Till a few yrs ago, when the Epilepsy Foundation posted the Info. Too Late! I lost my job due to a mood swing 2 days B4 they released the Info. (Dang Manager left me behind the register for 5 hrs w/ no break) I know I snapped at my Son a Lot, but, just chalked it up to various other reasons. Now, I make Sure I get proper rest, eat rite & stay Stress Free as much as possible.

Hope you do better w/ the B6. Hugs! Stay in touch. Let us know how you are doing.

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to BlazingTiger's response:
Hi Jason,

Good to see that you're still around. Hope all is going well for you.

angie

saxofone1 replied to KeppraUser32's response:
Hi Kep32,

Did you notice that another person on this site is having problems with Keppra also. When you get the chance enter "wendy7070" in the search box.

It is always helpful to share with someone who is experiencing similiar discomforts as you are.

Have a good day,
angie

KeppraUser32 replied to saxofone1's response:
Thanks angie, I'm new to these type of forums. I use the search box to see what I can find.

dancer86442 replied to KeppraUser32's response:
Good Morning Kep32,

We were all new to Forums at one time. We encourage you to read other posts, To share your Journey, ask questions, comment or vent. The Journey is different for everyone, yet there are a Lot of similarities.

Please, use our Resources/Tips to Learn what ever interests you. Plus, Popular Discussions has even More Informative Links. Learning Is Important. But, knowing you aren't Alone is what I Like! So, take time to say Hello to others'. Feel free to comment, ask questions or Vent. Be a Member of our 'extended family'.

Love Candi

BlazingTiger replied to saxofone1's response:
Hi Angie,
all is going better than it was. Been at the hospital most of the first few months. not for me though. My son & his grandfather were both in the hospital. Been rough but doing well all considered. I hope all is going well for you.

Jason

Hi Jason,

All is well with me. No seizures or family drama to deal with.

I don't remember if I mentioned it to you that I moved to Henderson, NV in October. I'm reclaiming my freedom from my family. That might account as to why I'm doing so well. Less stress/frustations lead to better seizure control.

Best wishes to your grandfather and son.

angie

Hi Angie,I remember you mentioning that was planned but it wasn't done yet at that time. Glad to hear of the better seizure control due to less stress. They are both doing fairly well now. WOO HOO for independence.

Jason

Hey Jason

WOO HOO IS RIGHT!!!!

How're the son and grandfather doing?

angie

btw, Go GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS. You have a favorite team?

Angie,

My son is doing well. His grandfather however has diabetic neuropathy. He is doing as well as can be expected.

I really am not into basketball. I hope the team you want to win does.

Jason

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center