Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
presudio seizures
An_242833 posted:

the first two seizure happend when i was at the phyical therpy center last year. i felt very ill the hole time i was doing phyical therpy that day... the therpist wanted me to go to the hospital.she knew something was wrong with me she kept asing me to go to the hospital .
we continued to do phyical therpy & i fell over & had the first to two seizures. .then i had the second one about a min later .they had a defibulater ready in case they need it .i dont remember any of the seizures i had both times, at phyical therpy place & at home.

My second seizure was at home. i was takin to the hospital by my family the second time, they waited for many hours later to do an EEG on me, I dont remember haveing a EEG done in the ER at all ... the next morning the DR.. came in my hospital room & told me that i had a presudio seizure & i would like you to go and see a shrink!.

first Question: is can the med i was on could have possablely have cause the second seizure.

second question: when the EEG was taken many hours later after i enter the hospital could the EEG still detect the the seizure after all that time .

third question is:how many hours later after you have a seizure are your brain waves can stay scrambled .4hrs,6hrs,10hrs,15hrs,24 hrs 48 hrs or longer.

forth question is: can you have memory loss after haveing a seizure..or dont remeber having a seizure at all...

saxofone1 responded:
Hi An,

Welcome to the family. What's your name? I ask because we all have an identity that goes beyond our epilepsy.

It is quite common not to remember having a seizrure. Start keeping notes of whatever activity was witnessed during a seizure.

In my opinion, it is likely that a another med might cause a seizure.

I hate the phrase "psuedo seizures". It has been explained to me to mean "an acitivity that looks like a seizure but is not due to irregular activity in brain."

Catching seizures while having an EEG done is frustrating. Seizures are on their own timer and show when they are ready. Most of my EEGs have shown no seizure activity. Also, your seizures may be so deep in the brain that an EEG has trouble catching them.

As far as the how long is the brain scrambled following a seizure, that is an individual thing. When I first started having them, I would go right back to doing whatever I was doing before the seizure. It was like someone had hit the pause button on my brain. As time passed, there was a time when confusion lasted 10-30 secs afterward. With more time passing, I was cooking, cleaning, changes buses, etc having no memory of doing so.

Are you currently taking any meds for the seizures, psuedo or actual activity?

A short bio of me... I had my 1st seizure in '75...docs...tests...meds...docs.. .tests ...more meds.... brain surgery in '02...less meds...doc follow-ups.

Please ask all the questions you or your family/loved ones might have.

Remember, no two cases of epilepsy are the same. There will be similaritiies but distinct differences. Hope this has been helpful in some way. Keep in touch.

angie

saxofone1 responded:
Hi again,

Is presudio the same as psuedo? My reply was based on psueso seizures.

I hope I haven't confuse you if there is a difference.

angie

An_242833 replied to saxofone1's response:
my name is christine, we re going to get a second opion on the seizure , he took me off the med he had me on gabapentin.the dr said i dint need it...
thanks for explaining what a psuedo seizer is no one even explain it to me when i was in the hospital,now i know what it is
i do have a history of having mini strokes had two already & high blood presure take meds for that take a simvastin for my high colesteral. & vitamin b12 & vitiman E.
thank you for helping me out will try to keep in touch.

dancer86442 replied to An_242833's response:
Hi Christine,

Your Dr did rite taking you off the meds for now. IF you do have psuedo, our seizure meds do not work for you. But, it will take Time & Patience to determine What's what. Plus, you Can have Both Epilepsy & Psuedo. Seeking s 2nd Opinion is Always Highly recommended for seizure disorders. Next Dr, ask for a Portable/ambulatory EEG. Ask Friends/relatives to Video any Episodes they witness. Start keeping a Daily Journal. Read our Journal Info located under Helpful Hints

You should ask your pharmacist about any medication concerns. Pharmacists are a Better Source than Drs,. I would like to suggest that you add vitamin D3 (ask pharmacist about recommended amount) & B6 to your regimen. Be sure to take these vitamins Separate from medication. Like 30 min B4 taking meds. And Inform your Dr of any all additions.

Keep asking questions. Let us Help you on your Journey. Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to An_242833's response:
Hi Christine,

You're welcome for the info. Seems like some forward progress is being made since the gabapentin has been discontinued and that a second opionion is being sought.

Since most of our meds cause those uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, sleepiness, dopiness, etc , think about asking/suggesting to the doctors that you take the highest dosage of meds at nite. This way you can sleep of those side effects.

Further on what I said earlier about meds causing seizures. If someone is still having seizures while taking meds, then that is not the med of choice for that person. Secondly, taking other meds while taking ant-siezure meds can cause interference with the seizure meds. That's where the pharmacist comes in, as Candi mentioned.

I hope my explanations/opinions are not confusing to you. If so, please let me know. Drop in when you can.

angie

Candi is a wonderful advisor. She always picks up points that many of us miss. I had the portable EEG that she mentions. Outside of looking like ET's fantasy girl, it was okay. Hard to find a comfortable sleeping position but it alright.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center