Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
side effects of Lamictal & Keppra
An_252057 posted:
Am on Keppra and Lamictal too. Do either of you sleep a lot?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jenbayly17 responded:
I am just in my first month of taking keppra and now that I am to my full dose of it I am more tired which is common for beginning this medicine and I have read a lot of other's posts and have seen that it depends on the person as to whether it get's better. I am on other meds as well but not not lamictal. But according to webmd one of the side effects to that medicine is low energy. How long have you been on these medicines? I would talk to your doctor either way but also ask your pharmacist about the possibility of adding vitamin b to your regimen of daily meds. Hopefully this helps you. know one thing for sure that you are not alone in the side effects battle. I have also experienced more waking up several times a night but I think it may have to do with the interaction between my meds. Please become back and follow up and let us know how you are.
Jen

saxofone1 responded:
Welcome whoever you are

How long have you been on this combination? If one is a recent addition, give it some time for your body to adjust. Does your doctor know of this concern?

Back in the late 90s until about '03, I was on Keppra, Lamictal, Topamax,and another AED(at this time the name escapes me) . I was always tired. I called it "prescriped fatigue".

I wasn't sleepy but just tired. I had no problems sleeping during the night.

Are you taking any other meds, not just AEDs?

Hey Jen, is it the Top or Kep that has the low energy side effect? I don't recall that being mentioned to me. Or simply I didn't think much of it. Thanks for that piece of info.

An.252...do you mind sharing your name with us? How long have you been having seizures?

Please check with us soon and give us an update.

angie

jenbayly17 replied to saxofone1's response:
Angie,
The Lamictal is the med that I found the low energy side effect for listed as an infrequent side effect but it does list drowsiness as a common side effect.And as you probably already know the drowsiness is about one of the first listed with Keppra.

I hope that now that i am getting rid of my dilantin little by little that things will level out so I can get back to my usual life. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Jen

dancer86442 replied to jenbayly17's response:
Jen, A piece of advice/info I received today about awaking at nite. It may not be the meds. It May have something to do w/ the Adrenal Glands & salt intake. I think you noted several other symptoms this article reveals. Here is some Info & a simple recipe for you that may Help!

http://www.rejuvinstitute.com/why-do-I-always-wake-up-at-3am#.UaFqgNLrzRt

Love Candi

dancer86442 responded:
I'm on Phenobarbital. Yes, I Sleep a Lot. Have always needed a Nap. I have adjusted to it, but, others' say B6 or B Complex may help increase your energy. Inform your DR if you add any Nutrients/supplements to your regimen. Hugs

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to jenbayly17's response:
Hey Jen,

Have you any problems with gum tenderness? When I was on dilantin back in the 70s, my gums were awful. I also had braces back then. My gums were so bad that they had swollen aound my braces and would often bleed when I brushed my teeth. That was harder to deal with than the seizures I was having at that time.

Just another piece of info I'm passing along. You'll be back to your "usual" self soon. My fingers are crossed for you too.

angie

Hi ladies,
Candi thank you for the information about the adrenal glands. That could help out a lot.
Angie I have only been on dilantin since April 29th but I have not noticed the difference in my gums. That sounds painful. But dilantin dose is down to 200mg one time a day.
I think I have a better chance of getting back to me soon, my step daughter is going to be with us for the next two weeks. She distracts me from thinking about medical stuff all the time. I love her from the bottom of my heart. I came in to her dad's life as his girlfriend right about the time she was born. His previous relationship with her mom was not healthy at all. The good thing is that I feel like she is my own because I have been in her life so long. She needs more supervision than my husband so hopefully you all have a good weekend.

You are welcome Jen,

I tried the juice concoction last nite. I awoke at 2. I had every intention of getting up & going across the street to let the doggies out & wham fell asleep again. But, awoke again at 3:15. I'm sure the Doggies appreciated it. But, I sure wish I could have/would have slept Longer. Good news for me, was the pup (3 dogs, 2 mature, one about 1 yr or more) didn't leave a mess for me. So, the Pup is Finally learning to control herself.

Jen, over the yrs I have learned that Kids don't have to be ours to be Ours. Know what I mean? I'm sure you Do! I have a Lot of Kids! But, only 2 are really Mine. Have Fun keeping up w/ her.

I am Glad you are getting Off Dilantin! It has proven to be one of our Worst meds, as far as side effects. Although we did have a gentleman on here last yr, Ed, who was on it for over 30 yrs. He never mentioned side effects. He was more concerned cuz, Stress caused him to have a seizure after being seizure free for so long. Lost his Drivers License, Mechanic License & job all at once. He is now on Facebook w/ me & is constantly asking the same questions. No One has any answers for him, except to seek another DR! It's been 3 yrs & he still can't get his licenses. He was blaming it on the doc, but, this yr, doc showed him papers that were signed & witnessed by Ed's sisters to reinstate his License. So, he now has to battle DMV. He Loves Me! Seriously! Whoops ramblin.

Hope you enjoyed Your weekend & definitely, have a Good Time w/ your 'daughter'. How Old is she Now? A Teen? Yikes! A Grown woman? Which ever, ENJOY! Hugs to all!

Love Candi

jenbayly17 replied to dancer86442's response:
Candi,
I am sorry the juice didn't seem to work for you. I love puppies, but we live in an apartment so it isn't an option for us right now. I definitely know what you mean about kids that are ours. I have a mama bear that comes out when anything happens wrong with my kiddo. She is just going to be 8 years old in June. She was part of my motivation to lose weight. Before the med change I could outrun her. I am still having some dizziness so I haven't run for almost 5 weeks now.

I hope all goes well for your friend Ed for the license. I am currently unable to drive and I am very used to my independence and being able to go so I feel like a hermit and can sympathize a little for him. I don't know if it is all in my head or if from everything I have been told or read, but I agree that I don't think Dilantin would have worked for me long term. Maybe it would have but those side effects for me were nutso. I haven't ever been as uncomfortable as the first two weeks on that stuff. I think the anxiety is still there a little but at the same time I am a worrier anyway as it is.

I am now working on getting my communication more open about bills and side effects etc with my husband. It is hard sometimes with him because he is the type to say everything will be fine because he thinks it is what I want to hear, and he doesn't tell me much about what he worries about in general, not just about my health but I am saying our whole relationship it takes a lot to get the layers peeled back on him to get him to open up sometimes. we have talked more in the last few days and gone through medical plans/bills a little to be on the same page about things. so I guess slowly we will get there.

Day by day is how I look at it.

Jen

One Day at a Time. It is what we Do! To make the best of this mess! Glad to hear you & Hubby cleared things up a bit. He sounds Just Like My Hubby! Peel them Layers away & Mabe Learn something about what/how he thinks. I Learn More, Listening, when he is talking to others' then he ever tells Me!

I know what you mean about the Dilantin. I Know I couldn't tolerate it Long Term, either. Was More than Happy to try another med. And Another. And another. Trial & error is no picnic, but, worht it when you get on a med that not only controls seizures, but, leaves ya Functional, too!

I'll be trying the juice Again tonite. It may just be that my Inner Clock is is still On! Been doing this for over 10 yrs. Habits can be H*** to Break.

Hugs!

Love Candi

hula_dancer73 responded:
I sleep alot on lamictal.

I do not take Keppra. I take 800 mgs of Lamictal. so yes it makes me sleep alot, but I also take 100 mgs of Vimpat (getting rid of it), 200 mgs of Topamax and 3 mgs of Klonopin. And a VNS.

Nancy
I live on O'ahu in West Honolulu-GO UH Warriors!

Hi Jen,

I hope things are going okay since I last posted. If memory serves me right, I recall being on a much higher dosage than you are. Glad you haven't experienced that discomfort about the gums.

Kids will definitely distract us from our worries/concerns. They have that simple way of making us feel good and loved. It's unfortunate that we lose that simplicity as we grew older. Tell her I said "hi". Enjoy each other. Is she coming for the summer or a short visit? It doesn't matter. You have a someone who will keep your mind clear of your medical concerns.

Everyone enjoy the day. Have a good weekend.

Hugs,
angie

Angie,
We have my step daughter 2 weeks at a time throughout the summer, we trade off with her mom. She has been a God sent this week. She is almost eight. The one day she said that she wanted to scrub the floors and clean all day to keep me "up and going." I laughed but we did clean most of the morning. The only thing I am worried about now is going back to work after weeks of being gone. I have this next week off to complete the med change. I in some cases am ready to be back but just scared of the stress I will put on myself. But I feel stronger with each day and have managed to be seizure free throughout the med change so far so I try to keep looking at the positive parts of this process. researching epilepsy while I have been off and talking to people online has made me more aware of different aspects of epilepsy that I had never thought about. Have a good weekend everyone.

Jen

Hi Jen,

I sure could have used that young lady yesterday when I was doing the kitchen floor. Bless her heart.

Sounds like the med change is going smoothly. Have you discussed your concerns about returning to work with your coworkers. You never know where support is. I was blessed with some wonderful coworkers who gave me full support.

I do understand the fear/concern you are now experiencing. Will things continue to be as smooth once I return to work. I'm sure many others have had those same/similar agitations.

But it sounds like you're ready to return. You're looking ahead and planning for "what ifs". I think you'll be fine. Talk with your helper and see what she thinks. Kids simplicity opens up doors that we have often closed.

Have a good day. Hugs to your daughter.

angie

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center