I am perplexed about this
cindigal posted:
I know that some meds could contribute to weight gain and I have been taking assorted meds for at least 3 years now. One I have to take for life; my synthroid, it was partially removed when I was a child. But dont rule that my thyroid is the culprit. I do take Topamax (topirimate 100 mg), Ativan (Lorapezepam 1 mg). I had my 5 month checkup with the doc yesterday. I was very frustrated with my weight gain, or not able to lose lets say. I am doing everything right. I go the gym and and go on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes straight with the arm bar and leg at same time. Do a steady pace with intensity level at 3. At home I use my stability ball for sit-ups. I told all this to my doctor because i was highly frustrated that I cant lose. I am watching the diet and I eat just chicken, cooked any way except fried. I eat lot of fruit and veggies. I do alot smoothies in the morning with greek yogurt which i love and its good for you.

I told all of this to my doctor, you know what he says: that's the problem, fruit is loaded with sugar. If you are making smoothies every morning with fruit the calories, it's not a good idea. I was flabbergasted, never in my wild imagination that I would told that smoothies are not good. He said that fruit are loaded with sugar and is bad when you are trying to lose weight. Also we discussed about the meds, perhaps wean from them (except thyroid). But I want to keep the Ativan for the time being. Thats takes the edge off and I take it for sleep. He agrees it was ok but we going to knock off Topamax. It was both of our decisions. He usually refills the pills for 5 months and calls them to the pharmacy. He was surprised that I wanted to be of of Topamax because many of patients that take it, one of side effects is losing weight. I said...look at me doc, well it's not the case with me. Besides isn't the main reason for Topamax is for seizures.....which i dont even get them. Anyway, it was his call. What you think about the fruit and the smoothies and I am doing the wrong thing with the fruit, because he said the worse thing to have when you want to lose weight.

cindigal

jenbayly17 responded:
Cindigal,
Fruit is normally a good way to get yourself to have an alternative to the sweets you might crave. I have been one that struggled with my weight ever since I was a child, and then almost every med I have been on for seizures always had a weight gain side effect with it. I lost weight to a healthy weight in the last two years. I did it with weight watchers, but the most important things I learned was eating meals and snacks throughout the day and portions. Keep variety in your diet and your exercise. Your body if you are trying to lose needs change. I lost my weight slowly. I had to build up exercise and keep changing my routine. I also had to find a way to get recipes that were things I liked to eat like mexican food that were healthier than what I got at restaurants. Don't stick with just chicken even though it is a healthy meat work in fish or lean meats that you like as well. If you do to much of the same your body basically retains the wait or can even gain because of your emotional times of feeling deprived. It takes a lot to get the right plan that works with your body because everyone is different. It took me a year and nine months for me to lose 120 pounds. Please let me know if you need any other weight loss tips. I like to be able to pay that forward because I struggled with it myself for so many years. Good luck and keep in touch.

Jen

dancer86442 responded:
Hi cindigal,

Your DR is rite! So, here is an interesting article I found. Scroll down to fruits, to find which is best for you. Then scroll down some more to read about Best Foods for weight Loss!

http://www.soulcraft.co/info/food_chart.htm

Of course there is the old adage: 'Everything in moderation' to consider, too. Try adding Only the fruits listed for your blood type. Or less of those not suggested. My GF uses mainly Veggies, in hers. I've noted even Hubby has cut back on some of the fruits he used to mix in mine. Mainly using Pineapple & blueberries. W/ an Increase in Spinach, carrots, etc. But, I am trying to Gain Weight, not lose it. And when he adds extra fruit, my weight increases.

If Topamax is controlling your seizures, Don't give it up, till you try the Food Chart.

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi cindigal

Welome to the group.

Weight has always been a problem with me. I was either too small or had a bit too much. Right now I'm feeling the effects of menopause and water retention.

I took Topamax for years and couldn't gain a pound. Whopper, Hagaan Daz, Ensures, and I continued to look like Olive Oyl. That was frustating.

As the ladies have already stated, each of our bodies will respond differently to the same thing. Like you, I have a regular excercise routine, I walk at least 30 minutes a day or do a Richards Simmons dvd.

Candi, is it possible that the combination of meds is adding to her weight problem? Here we go again with the interaction of our daily meds.

Cin, I hope you find a combination of foods and excercises that you are happy with. We all share your frustations. Hang in there.

angie

hula_dancer73 replied to saxofone1's response:
hi cindigal,

I take 200 mgs of topamax since march 12, and have had better sz control, prevention of Migraines, and have lost alot of weight.

I have gone from 177 to 156.2 since March 12th. Back into size 14 pant size and 8 undies, and some L t shirts.

I am only 5'2" so I need to get back to being at least 130 lbs.

That weight gain was from the Vimpat I was on for 2 years.

I took 600 mgs of it. Now I take only 100 mgs at night, and when I fly into see hin in sept he will completly remove it.

I also take 3 mgs of klonopin, and 800 mgs of Lamictal as well and have a VNS implant that works great for me.

Nancy
I live on O'ahu in West Honolulu-GO UH Warriors!

cindigal replied to hula_dancer73's response:
I got my refills for my meds. We are taking off the Topamax as we discussed in the docs office. I don't have seizures and I remember getting seizures or headaches. I still take the synthroid and Ativan (lorezepam) for anxiety but I use it at night for a better sleep. Two days off of Topamax and I feel fine, more refreshed in morning, when I used to be tired waking up. Thats the cats doing, they try to get me up (6 am) even if they got their food. What can I can, they'rer spoiled so I am getting up around 7 am.

I dont work and I get SSDI every month. I went shopping over weekend and bought lots of fresh veggies, peppers (red, yellow, green), broccolli, carrots, cauliflower, green onions. It took awhile to cut all of them to put them in baggies. That way I will have ready snacks that are healthy. I also buy bought my usual bread that I love whole grain 100% wheat. Some wheat tortillas that i will make veggie rollups or wraps. Noo fruit whatsoever...for my own benefit. But i think it will be ok without topamax because I never got a seizure that i recall.

cindigal

dancer86442 replied to cindigal's response:
Cindigal,

I am confused here. Clarify this for me. You said you don't have seizures & remember having seizures/Headaches???? Are you saying you have been seizure free since being placed on Topamax???? Because, then at the end of your post, you said you never had a seizure that you can recall. It may be none of my business: But, why are you on SSDI?

Next: You went off your Topamax Cold Turkey? You weren't weaned off it slowly? Please, keep note of Anything 'unusual'. Coming off anti-seizure meds cold turkey can Trigger seizures! You may feel fine so far, but, I would definitely be 'cautious' for the next few weeks. Good Luck! Hugs

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to dancer86442's response:
Yes, Cindigal,

Please clarify this for us.

Do be catious with "cold turkey" situation. There is the probability of the absense of seizures is due to the fact that your body has yet to recognize the absense of the med. Med leels will fall and seizure activity is likely(but not definite).

Be on the lookout for the "unusuals" .

Have a good day.

angie

cindigal replied to dancer86442's response:
Sorry for the confusion, I tend to do that when I didnt explain the whole sitution. When i said" seizures that I can recall". I dont know what a seizure feels like. I am getting SSDI for speech aphasia that I acquired after a brain trauma and went in the hospital. The docs I had in the hospital gave me Lamictal and the ativan. I left in the hospital with those meds.
I didnt like Lamictal for some reasons for I dont remember.. After leaving hospital I looked for a regular doctor for my checkups and meds. I asked him that i didnt like the Lamictal and asked for another med. He prescribed Topamax and also he said of all seizure meds, topamax has a side effect of losing weight. Well, that didnt happen to me.

I have been on topamax for over a year and I felt I gained weight instead of losing. This past checkup we discussed dropping the Topamax. He didnt refill it for me anyway. When you said keep note of anything "unusual". Can you mean what you mean. What should I watch out for.

cindigal

dancer86442 replied to cindigal's response:
Hi cindigal,

W/ seizures, there is no clue what a seizure 'feels like'. We only know what we feel after a seizure. Some after affects depend on the type of seizure. After affects range from sore all over, chewed tongue (if convulsive) excessive tiredness, confusion or feeling dazed, memory loss.

You said you had been on Topamax for over a Yr. Your DR Should have weaned you off the med Slowly! The fact that he didn't May cause you to have Seizures, again!

Cindi You know yourself Best. So, anything I mentioned or anything that is not the 'norm' for you should be noted. Please read More Info about seizures posted in our Resources. The More you know, the better! Brain Trauma &/or thyroid Issues are Leading causes of Seizures. So, I do Hope you will keep a Daily Journal (More Info under Tips)

BTW: Have you visited WebMD's 'Diet' page? Chek out Living Healthy, at the top of this page. It has Lots of 'helpful' Info/recipes for you. You mentioned you bought Wheat bread. Hate to say this, but, for some people certain Foods, grains, flours, additives Trigger seizures, also. As you will note when you read the Journal advice.

Knowledge is Power! Keep asking questions &/or do your own Research. Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to cindigal's response:
Hi Cindigal

Thanks for clarifying what you were saying. It is so easy to start talking about a situation and forgetting that others don't know it as we do. Think about how our docs fall into med terms when they with us. We have to remind them that we don't have medical degrees. "Say that in general English, please."

Anyway, I hope the past posts have been useful to you in some way. Til next time, take care.

angie

MajaM replied to dancer86442's response:
I totally agree with Candi.

Fill your plate with fruits like berries, figs, plums, apples, avocados, pears and peaches.

Choose veggies like broccoli, artichokes, carrots, greens and garlic. Fish and poultry should be limited since type As produce fewer meat-digesting enzymes, which is why they have such a hard time digesting red meat.

Food charts sorted by blood groups can be helpful.

http://bloodtypefood.com/

I wish you all the best with the diet Cindigal!