Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Great advice I got
cindigal posted:
I finally got a great response to one of posts regarding fruit and sugar. I posted lengthy story in a few communities and didnt get any satisfaction to my post till now. A member reply to my post and my doctor was right about fruit having alot of sugar and her nutritionist concurred with and told her that "avoid ALL sugar as much as possible to try to get my metabolism going. I also thought "Well, raw fruit is really healthy...surely I should eat lots of that!" but she said I'm not to have more than 1 handful of fruit per day since I'm having such a hard time losing".

My story was thatI i went to the doctor a few weeks ago and when totally frustrated when I weighed and told him that I am going to the gym nearly evry day and eating healthy, I cook chicken alot but not fried. I told him that I was making smoothies nearly every day. He said that was my problem. The fruit in them is why I am not losing weight. For the time being I am buying lot of veggies and have either salad with romaine lettuce or spinach, green onions, tomatoe, cucumbers which is very filling. I buy the low sugar dressing or else put some lemon juice and some spices. I was also drinking orange juice every morning but I switched to low sugar juices instead. I love tea in summer and drinking green tea alot with little sweetener like stevia or splenda. I found the best green ever and it comes in a big box. Luzianne tea i found had the greatest flavor ever.

Btw, I havn't had any side effects whatsoever for about 3 weeks now since i stopping the Topamax. Thank you to the members that gave me great support.

cindigal
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dancer86442 responded:
Cindigal,

I'm glad to hear you are doing OK. And that you got answers. Could have swore we told you to eliminate or lower fruit levels, also. Stevia is supposedly the best sugar substitute. Do Not use anymore Splenda! That is one of the worst Substitute sugars to use. It Can cause seizures! epilepsy.com has more Info on Sugars. Use her search bar in the Menu. No need to join to read Info.

And Yes, I Love Luzianne tea for it's Flavor, too. I hope you Remain seizure free w/ no medications. But, please keep up w/ your Journal. Here's Hoping & Praying you remain Seizure Free!

Hugs! Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Cindigal,

Thanks for the info about fruit and sugar. It's getting close to summer and all those fruits we crave are already in the stores. I'm not a smootie person but I admit to being a frap freak. I think I can limit that to maybe one a week. It would surely save some money.

I'll have to check my juices and salad dressings. I have a salad for lunch with all the toppings(cheees, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, etc).

Glad to know that we were able to help you with the Topamax situation.

Have a good day. Hugs to everyone.
angie

cindigal replied to saxofone1's response:
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I am been watching practically all labels to see sugar gms that are on the food I buy at the store. I havn't bought any fruit and stopped my morning orange juice which I saw the sugar count in those frozen cans. Because I love some kind of juice in the morning, in the juice aisle there are juices that are low in sugar. I bought two bottles and sugar was like under 10 gms.

What is frap that you mentioned..?? Is that iced coffee or something like it. I have a ice tea maker that I use all the time for my green tea that I buy. I buy sometoimes flavored green tea bags and there are some flavors I like. How do you make your frap. Thanks again for the response.

cindigal

saxofone1 replied to cindigal's response:
Hi Cindigal,

You must not be a Starbucks person. A frappacino is a coffee slushie. Similiar to the slushie one buys at the local convenient stores. Full of calories but addictive. I can handle the calories since I do a lot of walking and drink plenty of water.

Some of the local fast food joints offer something similiar plus not as pricey. The fast food joints often satisfy my craving but sometimes I must have "the original".

Treat yourself to a small one to see if it's your type of drink. People get hooked on them quickly so proceed with caution.

If you have a blender, you just might be able to make one of your own. Hope this has helped. Have a good day.

angie

ktexas1026 replied to saxofone1's response:
Hahaha,
Angie, when I first read your reply, I only glanced at your words & thought you referred to a frap as "coffee sunshine". LOL I don't particularly care for the frappachinos, but thought it was funny. Then I realized you said it was a coffee smoothie. I'm partial to caramel macchiato's myself.

The one thing I was going to respond to, before I thought I saw "coffee sunshine", was that I did NOT know this about Splenda! I am not an artificial sweetener fan...in fact, I'm against them completely. If you want something sweet, I think real sugar is better, unless you're diabetic, of course. But I did not realize Mio contained splenda until I was already hooked on it! LOL And it's the ONLY reason I drink water at ALL, so I couldn't just cut it out. I figured a LITTLE splenda wasn't too bad...but had NO idea it could cause seizures! Now, I'm not saying Mio could've STARTED mine... but could be that it made them worse, or at the very least isn't HELPING. I had NO idea! Gotta go research this now.
~Kim

saxofone1 replied to ktexas1026's response:
Hi Kim

You're ok with me. A cararmel macchiato is my choice too.

It seems that there is always something in our diet that is going to cause problems. So let's continue to monitor but still enjoy those occasional treats.

Have fun with you research.

Everyone have a good day.
angie

Georgiaann responded:
Im glad your doing good off Topamax, my seizures would go through the roof if I went off it most likely.
There aren't any drugs that control me altogether my pacemaker does it better any drug.

saxofone1 replied to Georgiaann's response:
Hi Georgiaann,

Welcome to the conversation.

Are you taking any other meds? What type of siezures do you experience? Please tell us about your pacemaker? If you've already shared all this in another conversation, forgive me for asking again. Right now, I simply don't recognze your screen name. Sorry.

angie

Georgiaann replied to saxofone1's response:
angie,

I take 4 drugs Tegretol,Topamax,Clonazepam and Phenobarbitol.

The seizures I have are complex partial,absence,generlized ,atonic

I was in the E/R for a seizure when someone noticed that I had an irregular heartbeat and I was told if I didn't get a pacemaker I could have a stroke.
My pacemaker catches a lot of my seizures not all of them.
Having seizures with a heart problem is common.

dancer86442 replied to ktexas1026's response:
Kim,

I posted the wrong Site. Although epilepsy.com may have the Info, also. Try Phylis site. epilepsytalk.com in helpful tips or resources. Stevia is Now the recommended 'sugar substitute'. Definitely, do some 'homework'. I did several yrs ago. Found out that New Mexico was working on Banning sugar substitutes for a variety of reasons, including increased seizure activity. If you are keeping up w/ your Daily Journal, you should note a pattern related to seizures & substitute sugar or other additives.

Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to Georgiaann's response:
Hi Georgiann,

Thanks for the info about the heart and ep. I didn't know that the two had such a co-existence.

My initial diagnosis back in '75 was absence. About a 1.5 years later, the docs changed seizure type to complex partial.

Prior to my lobectomy, I was taking Keppra, Topamax, Lamictal, and Trileptal. I haven't been on the Clonazepam. The pheno was back in high school.

Glad you're hanging with us. Enjoy the 4th.

angie

dancer86442 replied to saxofone1's response:
Angie,

You really need to do some 'homework' on heart/Ep issues. The Heart & Lungs are or can be co-morbid w/ Epilepsy. More so than most ppl,are aware of. Including our Dang Drs!

Hugs! Love Candi

jenbayly17 replied to dancer86442's response:
This has been an educational post. I know there are so many things that can cause seizures and that our meds that control them can make other things in our body have more issues so it can be a double edged sword sometimes. But it still amazes me what things need to be done within us to calm down our brains to function normally. I have never had to consider surgery yet for my seizures but am amazed by the info that I have learned of what they can tweak to make things work correctly.

I hope that with more awareness of this we as patients of epilepsy can also bring more to the table for symptoms we have to make these different issues that arise more treatable or even preventable if at all possible.

Jen

dancer86442 replied to jenbayly17's response:
Jen,

This is Why I recommend Daily Journals to All Newbies. As indivduals each of us experience a Lot of different types of seizures, triggers & med complications. Did you know there are 20 different types of Seizures, 40 different seizure syndromes And over 2000 Different triggers? .Phylis has a Great Article on epilepsytalk.com about this subject.

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center