Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Does weed helps with epilepsy ?
PaoCubbins posted:
Hi I'm new here and I'm curious about this. Does anyone knows if cannabis helps with seizures ? I've read several things but don't know what to believe.
I'm 17 and had generalized epilepsy since I was 13. I took Dilantin, Lamictal and other drugs that didn't work. 3 years ago started with Keppra which was pretty stable until I started randomly having seizures again a few weeks ago. I ALWAYS take my pills, 3000 mg a day.
What / why could this be? Is it true marijuana can help?
Please if you know anything I'll be grateful.

p.s. not tryin to treat my epilepsy with weed just wanna know if it can stop the seizures for a while

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Pao,

Welcome to our Community. Thank You for joining us. See Popular Discussions on the rite of this page? Lots of Opinions in MJ & Epilepsy Topic. But, What it really boils down to is: what works for one may not work for another. Medical Marijuana advocates are doing their best to purport this as a seizure treatment for some. But, you won't know if it works for you unless you try it. If you do, Please let your neuro know! The most recent News on Facebook is about an oil that is derived from MJ leaf that is helping infants/children to control seizures.

There are Other alternatives you can try, too. Meditation, yoga, exercise (stay hydrated) & Diets. And Much More. Even certain types of music is considered treatment for some.

About meds: When was the last time you saw your DR for a Blood Level test? Do you know what triggers your seizures? Why they quit working: One possibility is that You are Maturing, So you may need your meds Upped a bit to account for body/brain changes w/in the past 3 yrs. Please, go talk w/ your DR.

I would, also, like you to read some info we have in Helpful Tips. Please read about Daily Journals. Just clik on see all & scroll till you see Journals. You should really consider keeping a Journal, if you don't al;ready.

I'm not being Nosey, I was just wondering if you would share more of your Journey. How you coped w/ school & friends? Have you been able to work or make plans for college? How you have coped w/ having Epilepsy? What you share could prove useful to someone else in the future. Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Pao,

Welcome to our family. Medical marijuana for seizures was suggested to me somewhere in the 80s. I declined cuz I didn't feel comfortable with it. I'm a non-smoker anyway. Like Candi says, it's an individual thing.

I have been on the meds that you have mentioned. I am still taking Keppra, the XR tablet.

The meds have been a roller coaster ride for me since '75. Again as Candi has said, it might be a time for an adjustment. A higher dose or an additonal one.

Long ago, my diet and ep were connected. I noticed my seizures were more frequent when my weekly diet was high in sugar(candy, sodas, ice cream,etc) Got rid of the sweets and my seizure were less frequent. I do sneak some chocolate in occasionally.

The doc who suggested MJ also taught me meditation. That helped my seizures go no further than a simple aura/sensation.

Please share more about yourself. We'd love to know. Ask us whatever comes to mind. Don't be shy.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

angie

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center