Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Multi conditions
anthonybrownii posted:
I have had epilepsy for forty three years and I am now dealing with Diabetes possibly brought on by my major seizure setback in 2010. I have in the past been diagnosed as ep puedo ep and conversion disorder. I am writing this to say that although your doc may not agree with you on what to call what they see,continue to keep a journal be vigilant in learning about Epilepsy and it's many forms because I am one who suffers from many forms however since my first MRI in 1970 to now the doctors are in many ways confused because unlike many condituons those of us with ep suffer from multi forms and various triggers. I never thought that the lights I worked and went to school under could and were causing my sz's but they were and that now joy and pain can bring them on.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Anthony,

Welcome back to Epland. Thank You for your Update & your Advice.

Anthony, you say that Seizures may have caused your Diabetes? Seems to me, it's the other way around. Diabetes is a well-known co-morbid disorder for ppl w/ Epilepsy & High or Low blood sugars are Triggers for Seizure activity. Yes, Lighting, especially fluorescent lighting, is a big trigger for some. But, Photosensitive Ep can be alleviated by Prescription Polarized sunglasses & anti-glare screens on comps/tv's. Pain, as a trigger, I can believe, but, Joy, I believe is or can be a symptom of seizure activity. Hmm. I will have to read Phylis article on unusual Seizure Triggers & see if that was one of them. The article is on epilepsytalk.com.

Keep talking to us. Your experiences may very well help someone else.

Love Candi

anthonybrownii replied to dancer86442's response:
What I meant by joy was a hard laugh or excitement from a gift or anything which tirggered an emotional response

dancer86442 replied to anthonybrownii's response:
It is Unusual, but, definitely a Trigger for Some. What a Bummer, That you have to control Laughing/excitement. Hugs!

saxofone1 replied to anthonybrownii's response:
Hi Anthony,

thanks for the words of advice. It's unfortunate that laughter can bring on such an unpleasant event.

Hang in there and drop in to let us know how things are going for you.

angie

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center