Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
41 and just had my first seizure
leecee04 posted:
Hello. I am a single mom and I am terrified. Like many of you, my doctors don't know the cause.It happened two weeks ago at my Aunt's repass. My EEG and cat scan came back normal. I'm scheduled for an MRI next week. Right now I feel so alone.Seizures do not run in my family and I don't know anyone who has had one nor have I ever witnessed one. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dancer86442 responded:
Hello leecee,

Welcome to our Family. Know you aren't Alone, anymore!

Lee, it is said everyone will experience at least one seizure/seizure type in their Lifetime. And Stress can be a major trigger of seizures. Even in those w/ no History in their family. It is, also, not unusual for tests to be Normal. A normal Ct Scan or MRI are Good though. It means no tumors, cysts or other abnormalities caused the seizures. As for an EEG, well, seizures have to be present to be noted/recorded. So, Normal EEG, that isn't unusual either.

Suggestion: Clik See All under Tips & read about Journals. Then start keeping one! Even if you Never have another Seizure, Please Educate yourself & those who love you about Proper Seizure First Aide. Then, if you want to, Learn More about Epilepsy. We have a lot of Info in our Resources. Plus even more links under Popular Discussions. 'Weblinks for Epilepsy'

Please keep us posted about further tests. Keep in mind that IF seizures do re-occur, you may need a Second Opinion. Let us Know. We can Help! Hugs

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Welcome leecee,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! Glad you found us for support, questions, rants, or whatever to share your thoughs/frustrations.

Like you, I am the only one in my family with ep. My initial EEGs also came back "normal". No signs of ep/seizures showed yet they had been witnessed by my famiil, doc, dentist, and friends.

Do you recall any exteme fevers, bumps on the head, headaches in the near or distant past? Some people do have ep for unknown or undiscovered reasons.

Start keeping a notebook of when and where you were should you have another. These notes will be helpful to you and your med team.

Please keep us updated with any new info. You have found some new friends.

angie

leecee04 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi, Candi.
Thank you so much for the advice and tips.
Tomorrow I have my MRI. So I will definitely keep you posted.

leecee04 replied to saxofone1's response:
Hi, Angie.
Thanks for responding back to me. I don't recall any bumps or bruises , but I do recall having a major migraine about 4 years ago. I haven't been diagnosed with apt yet because this was only my first seizure. I pray to God it was my last. I will definitely keep a record.

saxofone1 replied to leecee04's response:
Hi leecee,

I hope the seizure you had is your last too. A high percentage of people will experience at least 1 seizure in their lifetime. But let's not assume too much so that you're not disasppointed.

I asked you earlier about any injuries because of the time-lapse between mine. When I was an infant , I had meningitis and experienced a seizure. Shortly before I turned 14, I had another which started my life with ep. We never know what could occur later when dealing with one situation.

I do hope your MRI shows you some answers. My first few years of tests showed no seizure activity yet the seizures has been witnessed by many. Timing will often influence test results. Do be patient with the tests.

Let us know how things go.

angie

Well my MRI came back normal. I'm waiting for the. neurologist to go over the results with me. So I guess I just wait around the next six months hoping I don't get a seizure? Is there an average time lapse between sezures?

Thanks

dancer86442 replied to leecee04's response:
Why do you say '6 mths'? Is that how long Driving was suspended for your State?

Unfortunately, there is no 'time lapse'. Seizures do Not Discriminate. They can happen Any Time, Any Place & can be a single episode or come as what we call 'clusters' (one seizure follows another, over & over.) Any seizure over 5 minutes is Dangerous to You. ER visit is a Must. 2-3 minutes, single or Clusters, no need for ER.

Has the DR placed you on any preventive meds (anti-seizure), yet? If not, then consider your Diet! Consider changing it! Avoid Glutens, sugar/sugar free products (Stevia is most recommended replacement) food dyes, etc. Basically follow a Low Carb, High Protein Diet. More Info in our Resources. or epilepsytalk.com (No need to join to read Phylis articles. Use the search Tool located in her Menu of Topics.) Hugs!

saxofone1 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi lecee,

It is quite common for MRIs to come back normal. My initial EEGs showed no seizure acitvity for the first few years of my ep. Then one day, "Ah, there it is!" Since seizures tend not to ahave a "regular schedule", catching them on tests can be very hard. Many of us have experieced negative tests results. Frustrating!!!

As Candi has said, there is no 'time lapse' between seizures. They come and go as they please. Daily, wekly, bi-weekly, monthly...It is an individual thing. Stress, menses, heat, diet, etc can contribute to seizure activity.

Don't let the first test results discourage you.

angie

THanks, ladies.
I am NOT allowed to drive or swim, which is my passion, for 6 months. I am NOT on any meds. I will definitely look into the diet.
This not knowing stuff is really nerve-racking. I was feeling like the normal test results was a good thing , but now I realize it doesn't really mean anything. Well it means I don't have a tumor. I'm going to try not to get all worked up about it and just deal. thanks again for all the advice and support.

Hi Lee,

Remember we are here anytime you have a question or concern. No Driving: It's a Bummer, but, accept it & find an alternative. Better safe than sorry. As Many have learned over the yrs. As for Swimming: Did you know our Olympic Swim Team has a person w/ Seizure Disorder'? Can't recall his name, dang it. :0 Michael??? So, in that case, Swim! Supervised! Same w/ Baths! Showers are OK, but, still require Someone in the House who Knows to Listen! A lot of Common Sense will keep you Safe. Not Stressing is a Good thing to do! Stay Positive. Stay Strong. Keep Learning! Hugs!

Love Candi

leecee04 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thank you so much, Candi.
You've been really sweet. I'm going to do some research on this Olympic swimmer.

Wow How could I Forget??? He has My last Name. Michael Phelps

saxofone1 replied to leecee04's response:
Hi leecee,

Hope you find some answers with your research. Let us know how it goes.

angie

ktexas1026 replied to saxofone1's response:
I didn't know Michael Phelps had seizures!!! Wow! And they say you're not supposed to swim... so I don't feel so bad now for doing things they tell me not to. LOL

But to Leecee04... I am almost 38 & only recently found out I'm having seizures. Not sure if your recent seizure was the full-on "regular" seizure where you were convulsing (is that the one they call grand mal, I can;t remember?). But mine are absence seizures, so I just space out & almost no one (including me) knows I've had one.

But I just wanted to post to add to what everyone else has said, that you are NOT alone (sadly--LOL). But I have received TONS of great info from the people on this forum, the only 2 I can remember are Candi & Angie (I'm sure there are others, but my memory was the first thing to go with these dang seizures).

Also, don't be discouraged if they find no cause. They STILL don't have a cause for mine, but like you, I have a history of migraines (classic, with aura), AND have had a few "complicated migraines" where I thought I was having a stroke! Now, I wonder if they were really seizures. But migraines & seizures are very closely connected. I think migraines make you more susceptible? Or maybe that they sometimes occur together. Actually, I think I've read that migraines can also MIMIC seizures at times. But also like you, I have no history of a head injury, or stroke (unless my complicated migraines WERE actual strokes, but my MRI's were clean/normal). But there ARE seizures with no known cause, so if you don't get an answer in that department, don't fret. Sadly, things are not always as clear cut as they are on TV. LOL

I hope I'm not repeating things that were already said, just wanted to throw MY 2-cents in there, & mostly just say that you are not alone, for SURE! I actually came on here to ask another question, of the VERY knowledgable gals here.
But hang in there, & hope you DO get some answers, AND some treatment if it IS seizures. Just be prepared for some trial & error on meds too...... that'sbeen the toughest for me to deal with. I want answers (and relief) like yesterday! LOL
~Kim

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center