Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Heat and epilepsy
lola1030 posted:
I have epilepsy and we have been going through an extreme heatwave in the our area. My car doesn't have air conditioning and find myself getting incredibly hot. Can that bring on a seizure?

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Lola,

Welcome to our 'Family'. In answer to your question: Yes, in some PPL extreme heat Can trigger seizures. Have you experienced seizure activity after being in the Heat?

Advice: stay Hydrated & do your self a favor, when driving, use a gel cold cloth/neck/headband. If you can afford it & you have a cig Lighter in the car that Works, there are Fans that can be plugged into it, also.

Please, note any activity in a Daily Journal. More Info in Helpful Tips.

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Iola,

Welcome to the family. YES YES YES!!!! Heat can definitely cause seizure activity. I live in Vegas and I understand what you're saying.

In the past, I have experienced such problems. My docs have said that the dehydration from the heat will often cause our meds to be absorbed quicker than in the pleasant temps. This causes an imbalance of the meds thus leading to seizures.

If you can do your errands early in the day or later once the sun has gone down, that might help.

I don't drive so much of my activities are done before 9a this time of year. It bugs me but it is necessary. Thank goodness for the paratransit in my area.

Carry water with you whenever you can.

Hope Candi and I have offered you some helpful tips.

angie

lola1030 replied to dancer86442's response:
Thank you so much for your response!!!!! it is really helpful to know.

lola1030 replied to saxofone1's response:
Yes, Angie it is definitely helpful. Thank you so very much!!!

saxofone1 replied to lola1030's response:
Good to hear from you, Iola

It is still hot here in the Vegas area. My days start at 4:30 or 5 n the mornning. I usually heading back home by 7:30a. After 8a it becomes too hot to go out. Thank goodness I love to read or enjoy 10 hrs of The Flintstones.

Drop in occasionall to simply say "hi'.

angie

BostonPaul responded:
As others have said ,heat can be a trigger. I've had epilepsy since birth,and noticed that any sudden change in temperature,
either way, can be a trigger.
So, if you're indoors with AC, then step outside, it may trigger a seizure. (Or vice versa)

Even a hot shower that is TOO hot can do it. The sudden heat can bring it on. (So I usually take warm/not-too-hot showers!)

dancer86442 replied to BostonPaul's response:
Hello BostonPaul,

Welcome to Epland/Epilepsy Community. Thank you so much for your Input. Make yourself at Home. And please share your Epilepsy Journey (you can put it in your Profile if you want ), ask questions, comment or vent at anytime. Know we care. Hugs

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to BostonPaul's response:
Welcome BostonPaul,

Hope to see you hanging around other discussions. Fresh thoughts are always welcome. And very much needed.

angie

Ulunia responded:
I was always sensitive to heat, I remember crying for no reason when I was around 9 after experiencing unusually hot and sunny day. I could not stop until I got to a swimming pool.
When I moved to Florida, I was 14. That was the first time that I experienced a seizure. It is always unpleasantly hot in here. So I am not sure how much this has to do with anything.
But since fever alone can cause seizures in people who do not have epilepsy it would make sense that extreme heat could do the same.
Now, I only wish this was a sole factor... and that they tested you for that before they signed you up for medications. Why the hell nobody tests you for anything else but tumors and brain damage?
But also, don't take it the way so many people do. Just because it MAY be a factor, it does not mean it IS the factor. Check, stay alert, but don't end up staying in a hospital bed for the rest of your life because something MAY happen.
Talk to your doctor. If your doctor will not talk to you. Find another doctor.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center