Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Had a seizure today.
An_252900 posted:
Ok, im 17 years old. I just got hired at a new fast food place in my area. I worked on a farm before so it did not occur at the sight of dead animals or anything. I was standing still for awhile and i started to black out, ive blacked out before mainly when i stand up after sitting awhile. But this was different, i had already been on my feet an hour. Anyway, i started to black out and so i tried to find something to hang on to. The next thing i remember i woke up with people screaming and yelling. Somebody told me, i passed out my eyes rolled back in my head and i started convolsing on the ground for about 2 min. So, in short terms a seizure. Im concerned about what caused this. please any help would be good. Im supposed to go back tomarro and i dont want it to happen again. Talk about the worst first day ever!

dancer86442 responded:
The First thing you Need to do is schedule an appt w/ a Neurologist! First question you need to ask Receptionist: Does the DR specialize in Seizure Disorders? For now: Start a Daily Journal! More Info under Tips/See All.

2-3 minutes is 'Normal' for seizure activity/convulsions. Tell your co-workers to take a deep breath & Don't scream/yell at you. That can only stress you out & possibly More seizures can occur. Tell them Proper Seizure First Aide. Whether you ever have another episode or Not, PPL need to know this! Remember the Word TRUST T= Take a Deep Breath & Start Timing R=Remove Harmful Objects U=Undo any constrictive clothing T=Turn on side after seizure ends This will assure you don't choke on excessive fluids or bile. Remain w/ you till you are fully conscious & respond coherently. This may take a few moments, due to confusion after an episode. Any seizure that lasts Non-stop for 5 minutes or longer requires 911/ER

Chances of this happening again. Well, seizures do Not Discriminate. They can Happen anytime/anywhere. OR they may Never happen Again. But, you Still need tests to determine if they will or won't. Keep in mind: 65% of those w/ Seizure Disorders are diagnosed "Cause Unknown". But, if you keep a Daily Journal you & or your DR may note a Pattern to help conclude what triggers them & go from there. Time & Patience.

If you are Female, please note our info in Resources about Catamenial Seizures. Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to dancer86442's response:
Welcome to the group,

Yes, the first seizure can be frightening. Maybe it will be your only one but unfortunately, it may not be.

It is sad that people still over react to a seizure. The world is still under-eduacted in regards to ep. We who live with ep are the teachers.

Some 30 years ago, I had a seizure at a Taco Bell that I frequented. Though the staff knew me, they panicked and called 911. I had to reassure the EMTs that I was okay and needed no medical attention. Then I lit into the Taco Bell guys. "Don't ever do that again!!" We laughed about it later. It was a lesson for them on how to deal with my ep. I hope they passed it on.

Candi has shared with you my initial thoughts. Keep that journal handy for it is quite helpful to you and the docs. I've been keeping notes for over 30 yrs.

Candi, I love "TRUST" . What do you think about making that a t-shirt.

Good day,
angie

anthonybrownii responded:
The level of heat,flourescent lights and stress of the enviroment they place on you could be bringing them out. I Have had seizures for 43 years,I also worked as every level in food service, the things I listed could have triggered underlying seizure activity not noticed before. The reason for this could be that the farm had a less stress surroundings, natural lighting and a go at your pace flow. All I am saying is get a checkout by an epileptologist but if there test come back normal don't fret I've never had abnormal tests even while having one on the machines. I wish you best .

Helpful Tips

Hey Guys!
Need an extra hand? We help everyone! In ANY and EVERY way we can! Call now and ask us what makes us different than all the other ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center