Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
seizures vs memory loss
billy2013 posted:
New to this but glad for the opportunity. Older now, 60, no seizures in a couple decades, healthy. Sometimes I feel there is a relationship between when I've had a seizure and a small slice of memory has been lost each time. Any scientific studies.

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Billie,

Welcome to Epilepsy Exchange. Thank You for joining us. I'm sure there are scientific studies out there. I believe, my Friend, Phylis wrote an article on this topic, also. She is a Rearch Journalist & writes about all aspects of Epilepsy. epilepsytalk.com Link in Resources &/or Tips.

But, I don't need a research team to tell me how Epilepsy has affected my brain. But, unlike you, there are small & Huge Gaps in my memory. What I do remember or have been told is in my Profile. Just clik on my Id or pic. I believe I just recently read an article about Alzheimer's & Epilepsy. Chances are?? depends on the person & if they keep their brains mentally active, despite the memory loss. Exercise is good for this. A walk around the block a time or two. WebMD has some suggestions, too. Use the Search Tool above.

Hugs Love Candi 60 end of August.

ktexas1026 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi there!
Of course, the title of your post caught my eye b/c I have the same issue w/ memory. It took MY docs about a year to finally say I "might be" having seizures...but I thought I was either losing my mind, or had early alzheimer's. LOL I am only 37, &I couldn't get the docs to understand that as patients, WE know better than any test how our brains/memory work. I know what my "typical" memory retention is. I also have ADD, but I knew this was NOT my usual ADD symptoms. I would be missing chunks of time, & I do NOT have multiple personalities. LOL Finally, I had an "abnormal" EEG & that led to the "probable seizures".

But I think our experiences say WAY more than any research article any of us could ever come across...& believe me, I've looked up nearly everything I can think of on memory related seizures. And like Candi said, especially if your seizures are located mainly in the temporal lobe, then your memory certainly WOULD be an issue. That's where mine are, & sometimes I lose small chunks of time (remembering only bits & pieces of an event, or day). And then there are times where I just can't hold onto the info for very long.

If you've had seizures for as long you have, does that also mean you have been on medication for that long also? I ask that b/c maybe it's that you now need a different medication. You could be having absence seizures (or any type of seizure), if you're not aware of even having them (like I do). So, I think you could be having small seizures & not even know it. Either that, or like Candi mentioned, it could be your seizure meds causing some memory problems. That's one thing I am still struggling to understand... why a med that is supposed to HELP, could be causing the problem too. LOL

Last comment... but I have been told that you can lose a chunk of time when you are HAVING a seizure, but also lose some of the time FOLLOWING the seizure as well. But if this is different/new, I'd say it's time to see your doc, & maybe discuss if any changes to your meds need to be made... just my thoughts.

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center