Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
seizures vs memory loss
billy2013 posted:
New to this but glad for the opportunity. Older now, 60, no seizures in a couple decades, healthy. Sometimes I feel there is a relationship between when I've had a seizure and a small slice of memory has been lost each time. Any scientific studies.

saxofone1 responded:
Hi billy,

I don't know off-hand of any scientific studies. What I can share with you is that ep and our meds can influence our memory.

Do you recall what area of the brain your seizures were coming from? My seizures were acitve in the temp lobe which is strongly connected to our memory banks. The meds didn't help much either. I had trouble with my short-term or immediate recall of things I should have known at the snap of a finger.

My memory has improved since my lobectomy in "02. I still have occassional forgetfulness but it is only for a short while.

Have you discussed this concern with your doctor? Are you still taking meds?

Welcome to the group. Check out some of the other stories.

angie

billy2013 replied to saxofone1's response:
Thank you Angie. Appreciate your reply. I have been living and working in the Middle East for the past five years and have only seen a neurologist at the local hospital. I will discuss my condition further with him next check up.
For all of us Americans who live in the U.S. , be thankful for the level of medical practice we have available.
Yes, I take my meds religiously. My gut tells me I may have outgrown my condition, but in reality, I remain steadfast. Whenever I get into a condition where I spin or am upside down I don't feel quite right so I know deep down I never fully recover. Not a problem. Life has been good so far.

saxofone1 replied to billy2013's response:
Hi billy,

I am most grateful for the docs in the U.S. Minus a few, I have had excellent nuerologists since my initial seizure in '75.

The roller coaster rides left me spinning and unsteady whenever I rode them. I sometimes had a seizure following a ride. I finally decided to leave the roller coaster to my crazy brother.

As I said before, your meds could also be interfering with your memory. Ask your doctor about it at your next visit.

Hope life continues to be good to you. Keep sharing with us.

angie

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

How Music Soothes Your Seizures
Another Interesting article from Phylis. Just clik on the Highlighted Words. You Do Not have to Joint the Site to read Any of her articles. ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center