Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
My life with Epilepsy
billy2013 posted:
My first seizure was as a senior in high school just before graduation. Wonder how often the onset of seizures are brought on at the most highly anxious time of a young life with a previous head trauma.
Feel my epilepsy may have been induced from a football head trauma but no evidence. I had also got stiches top of my head when I was six from diving into the shallow end of a swimming pool.

Started on Dilantin with a quarter grain phenobarbital.
My ego wouldn't allow my to accept it was a big deal. Denial I guess. Don't know why. Guess because I always felt healthy as an athlete. Never played football again though. ha. As a college student in the seventies in southern California found myself smoking pot, but if I dropped my level of Dilantin it would cause the onset of another seizure. For me, I feel there was a relationship between smoking pot and keep my system at a certain state of relaxation. Don't know for sure if this was an excuse of an actuality but if the mind believes it it may be of value to the overall system.
My girlfriend at the time who later we married continue to hound me to take care of myself, take my pills everyday, and have regular doctors visits to check my Dilantin level. Very important, as a drop in Dilantin level can cause the onset of a seizure. It took two or three more seizures over the decade for dumb me to realize the importance of taking my medication regularly. (Today is our 32nd wedding anniversary). She has stuck with me through all these years and am grateful to her and my daughter and no I haven't smoked pot for many years.

My doctor eventually weaned me off the phenobarbital and I have continued to take Dilantin until now I am 60 years old. This is the first I have become part of any epilepsy discussions or even researched my affliction and am glad I am involved. I am surprised there are so many cases.

I so feel todays meds do wonders for us epileptics, and as I have grown older have realized all of us have one affliction or another. I other words respectfully all of us are screwed up in one fashion or another. And that is OK. Its just a realization that nobody is perfect and it then makes life much easier to relax and enjoy.

I feel somehow each time I had a seizure a small slice of my memory was lost. Maybe this is just a play in my mind or actually has some scientific relationship. Would be glad if someone would weigh in on this "seizures vs memory loss".. thank you.

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Billy,

Belated Happy anniversary. Hope you ENJOYED! Me & Hubby just celebrated our silver (25yr) anniversary. I met him when I was 35 & married him at 37 & gave him a Beautiful boy. as well as a Horrible Step Daughter (age 16). He has survived all that & my seizures, too. Plus More. I'm still on Phenobarbital. 180mg a Nite. I too learned the hard way to take meds on time. I, now, have learned another lesson too Late. Take vitamins/supplements 30 min to an hr B4 Meds. Our meds tend to rob us of certain Important nutrients. I know mine & yours require Extra Calcium Plus D.

I'm Glad you joined us. I do hope you feel at Home here. I am a Firm advocate of Learning about All the aspects of Seizure Disorders/Epilepsy. I have been a member of this Group since 1993. I have talked to sooo many people. And yes stories vary, yet at times, can be very similar & very Fascinating. And to be able to respond to someone, to let them Know 'they aren't Alone, w/ Advise & Tips & personal experiences, is how I 'pay it forward' to those who Helped Me 20 yrs ago. Read my reply to Haneef. Hope You visit epilepsytalk & Search for her discussions/input on Memory. Hugs!.

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Billy,

Belated Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs!!!

Dilantin and pheno were my meds in 70s. The pheno kept me high whereas the Dilantin made my gums swell/bleed.

My first seizure occurred when I was in 8th grade. When I was an infant, I had meningitis and had a seizure then. A decade of peace and out of nowhere came my first one.

You use the word "epileptics" . I say that I have epilepsy. I understand what you're saying. I have to stop my mom from telling people that her daughter is an "epileptic". It is a generational thing. No harm done. We speak freely here with respect all.

None of us are perfect. I think it would be boring if we were. Thankfully we are fighters with good hearts.

Billy, have you checked the bookstores for info on how to improve your memory? Amazon has become my favorite spot to locate those hard-to-find books.

Take care til next time. What's your wife's name. Give her my regards. She's welcome to join us.

Click my pic to read my story.

angie

hula_dancer73 responded:
aloha, my first sz was 8 months after a car accident of dec of 02. it was the night B4 my college graduation om august o03f A T/C. The next day for me was a total washout. I also had a broken ankle as well.
I live on O'ahu in West Honolulu-GO UH Warriors!

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center