Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Nocturnal Seizures/Sleep Paralysis??
piccolaalbicocca13 posted:
Hey - wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this...or has any insight.

I have these weird "spells" at night when I am just falling asleep. It usually starts with a surging or rushing feeling, energy starting in my fingertips and quickly traveling up to my chest and head, and then to my eyes, almost like a jolt. I hear it too, and it sounds like a "whoosh"...that's the best I can describe it. It will happen several times in 3 or 4 second intervals, and then I'll feel like I'm gradually slipping away, and then I'm gone. I'll then wake up, usually paralyzed but with my eyes open. Usually I'm hallucinating, visually almost all the time, and frequently I hear either a loud hum or buzz, or music. It takes a bit to snap out of being paralyzed but frequently the hallucinations last longer, sometimes I get out of bed and am still experiencing them.

This all started about 7 years ago, mostly like I just described it. It's been off and on since. I'll go months and months without having them, and then I'll have them for a few months. Sometimes multiple times in succession - where I'll wake back up and immediately go back into another one, up to four times. Turning on the light helps, but I don't always have enough time to do that before another one comes.

Recently, I've been experiencing auras beforehand - usually flashing lights, or one big bang of lights, or a really loud sound, right before I feel like I slip away. I've been waking up too with an intense headache in the back of my head and neck - not always after these episodes but frequently in the middle of the night or in the morning.

I'm wondering if this might be seizure related - I had 2 grand-mal seizures as a young child...no apparent cause, dilantin for a while, gradually reduced my doses and they didn't happen again.

Not sure why I waited this long to figure it out, but it didn't concern me as much until recently when they started happening more frequently again and with more intense auras and hallucinations. I know that I can't reasonably expect to figure out exactly what's going on here and am planning to see a doctor next week...but can anyone offer any insight from personal experience??

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Pico,

Welcome to Epland/WebMD Epilepsy Community.

I have noted, over the yrs, others' who share your symptoms. The 'spells' you are experiencing B4 seizures may be Aura's or Simple Complex Partials. Please visit our Epilepsy Health Center to read the descriptions of various common seizure types/symptoms. Access to the page should be at the bottom of this page.

It is, also, not unusual to go mths between seizures. Hallucinations, I believe, are, also, Simple Complex. One lady noted Bert & Ernie b4 seizures. Multiple episodes such as you described are known as 'cluster seizures'. Plus, Headaches/migraines have been proven to be co-morbid w/ seizure disorders in some people, too. But, do not lead to seizure activity, in most cases. People w/ seizure disorders are just more susceptible to having them.

Please, note All activity that you can remember. Read about Journals in Helpful Tips./See All. Questions for your DR? Check out our Resources. 3rd page, I think.

Clik on my pic or ID & read my Journey w/ Epilepsy. Hugs!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center