Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
First-Time Seizure - 9-year-old
jpbolden posted:
Hello Forum,

My 9 year old son had a seizure this morning for the first time. The paramedics were called and it took them a while to bring him out of it and then they transported him to Children's Hospital.

Background last 48 hours: Unknown to me on the day it happened, but he said that he had accidentally stuck a pencil in his eye. When he went to school that next morning, the eye began to swell and the school nurse was concerned and I took him to the doctor who said he had an eye infection. They first gave him a topical medication to put on the eye and then prescribed an oral medication. He had been taking the oral medication for two days before the seizure.

Back to the day of the seizure: When he was seen by the Childrens Hospital doctor, the first thing out of his mouth was: "This is common". That totally sent me to the moon. "What do you mean this is common?!!!" His response: "It is not unusual for children to have seizures" My response: "What are you talking about? My mother had 5 children; between my 5 brothers and sisters we have11 children -- not one of them/us had seizures! Not one of any friend I had or now have had children to had seizures. Frankly I was very surprised and disappointed for a statement like this to come from a doctor at a childrens hospital. I told him about the pencil accident. He said that he would take a blood test and if nothing surfaced it probably wouldn't happen again. I don't have to tell you that was not comforting and at the time of this writing the test results have not come back.

I feel it has something to do with the eye injury and infection or, possibly a reaction to the medication.

Does anyone know of a relationship between eye injury and seizures?

dancer86442 responded:
Hello jpbolden,

Welcome to Epland/Epilepsy Community. So sad that we had to meet you becuz of this. But, you came to the rite place for Education & Support.

Unfortunately, the Dr was Rite. Seizure Disorders do not discriminate & can happen to Anyone at any time, at any age & for Numerous Reasons (Over 2000 reasons)

I'm not a DR, but, his seizures could have started due to Any of the reasons you listed. But, my Guess: medication he was on could have triggered the seizures. Ask your pharmacist if the medication has That Side Effect! If Not, it may have been due to an allergic reaction to the med.

Another Possibility: Was he running a fever due to the Infection? That would be a More Likely cause of seizures than the injury itself.

My Prayers for you & your son. Hopefully, this will be a First & last seizure for your child once the infection is Gone. But, Please, Note this incident in a Journal/baby book. He may need to know about this in the future.

Please keep us Posted. Know I Care. Hugs!

Love Candi

saxofone1 responded:
Hi jpbolden,

Welcome to webmd.

My family was shocked when I had my first seizure in '75. No one in my immediate family had ever experienced one. I have a cousin on my mother's side who had ep but outgrew hers. I am the loner in my family with ep.

I am sure the doc's words hurt you in some way. Definitely not what you expected/needed to hear.

Start that notebook as Candi suggested. Note anything that comes to mind. There is never too much info to share with a doctor.

We're here for you and your son. Please keep us updated whenever possible. Kids are wonderful. If he has any questions, please ask them so that we might help him. No question is a dumb question.

BTW, I have never had the experience of eye injury and seizures. Sorry I can't give you additional info regarding that.

angie

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center