Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Help, should i take my sister to the ER
courtjord37 posted:
Hi, my little sister is 21 and was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was almost 16. Two nights ago, she had a seizure and bit her tongue very hard. She has seemed fine until today. She is getting very sharp pains on the left side of her brain. Should I be worried and take her in to get checked out? I am worried because she hasn't had a seizure in almost 2 years until a couple nights ago. Advice please.

saxofone1 responded:
Hi courtjord,

Yes, get her checked out. When was your sister's last nuerological visit? Has she had an EEG in the past 18 months? How about a recent blood level to check her meds. Might be time for an increase or addition. Many people do have long bouts w/o seizure activity. I certainly have.

Like your sister, I usually felt fine the next day. Sometimes I didn't need a recovery period. Other times I needed a day or two. We're all different. And we usually can tell when we need emergency care.

Is the biting or sharp pains a new thing? If so, I think that is a definite reason to have her checked out.

Until she goes in for to see the doctor, keep notes about her discomforts, any more seizures, diet, menses, etc. When you do go in, take all that info with you along with a list of current and past medications(including non-seizure meds).

Hope she's feeling better today. Thanks for being there for her. Sorry for the short response but I am multi-tasking right now.

Keep in touch. My best to your sis and you.

angie

dancer86442 responded:
Make an Appt w/ her Neuro ASAP! Ask them if they will put you on the cancellation List, too, so maybe you can get your sister in Quicker. Angie mentioned writing stuff down. Please go to Helpful Hints & read our Info about Journals.Thank You for caring for your Sister. I know Epilepsy episodes & side effects, B4, during & after can be quite trying. She needs to rinse her mouth out w/ a Strong Warm Water Salt Rinse. Especially after meals. It will aid in healing her tongue faster. Please keep us posted. Know we care. If you or your Sister have any questions/concerns please let us know. HUGS! to Both of You!

Love Candi

courtjord37 replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi Candi,

Thank you so much for the advice and input, I really appreciate it. I'm only 23 and have been taking care of her most of my life so I am still trying to figure it all out. My mom left us when I was 18 and she was 16, so getting her history has been so hard! But this is so helpful, you dont even know! I feel helpless, we can only go to a community clinic doctor because we dont have insurance but the good news is I did call him and made an appointment and I told him what was going on, so he is working to find a Neuro dr that will come in to the center to see her. Pleaes keep fingers crossed for that. Again thank you!
She has always had her seizures while asleep, should I be watching her at night or having her sleep with me?

courtjord37 replied to saxofone1's response:
Hi Angie,

Thank you for your response and information, I also appreciate it very much. As I told dancer86442, we have no insurance but we have an appointment with a community center doctor that is working to find a Neuro Dr. who will come in to see her. Hopefully he will allow us to pay him in installments and get her the tests she needs. She has not seen a Dr. or had her meds checked since she was 16, so i am so worried.

If you have any more insight to the questions I proposed to dancer86442, please feel free to join in with a response.

Thank you both, again for being so kind and helping me out. It means to much and helping me out.

Courtney

dancer86442 replied to courtjord37's response:
Hi Courtney,

OK, My Prayers are w/ you that a Neuro will come in & Assist you & Sis. But, w/ the New Obamacare you Will have to get Insurance Soon. If not they will fine you & take it out of your Income Taxes. WebMD has more Info & I believe can assist you in finding something you can afford. Another Idea: The Hospitals in your area. Do you know if there is a Teaching Hospital in your area?? No? Then would your Sis consider a Clinical Research Center? These are places she can go to try New meds that are not marketed yet & she will get All expenses Paid. From transportation to place to stay to tests to meds. Google Clinical Research Trials for Epilepsy.

Suggestion: 1. Visit EFA.org, locate your State Epilepsy Organization & contact them! They may be able to assist you. There should be a link in Hints or Resources. If Not, top of page, Popular Discussions 'Weblinks for Epilepsy'. 2. Visit yard sales or thrift stores & look for a Baby Monitor w/ sound &/or Video. Video would be good becuz, it would be Proof for the Neuro. Then Sis could sleep in her own bed. Hopefully, you are a Light Sleeper. The baby monitor would be useful for when she Showers, also. No Baths unless supervised w/ you in the Bath Room! Best if she Showers while you are Home, but, leave the door open. I Know you said all her seizures happen while asleep, but, hon, that could change at anytime. And if she Crashed in the bathroom w/ door closed she may fall near door & you would have a tough time getting to her.

It is a Good possibility she will need to go on medication. But, ask the DRS if you can try Diets First! The Epilepsy Health Center link at bottom of this page may have more Info. Or visit this site http://www.epilepsytalk.com/ Use the Search Tool in the Menu to locate the article. Take time to read some of the other articles that you mite find interesting. Phlis did a Lot of Research about Epilepsy and her articles are very Informative.

You & your Sis are Not Helpless. And you are Not Alone! PPL w/ Epilepsy (& their Caretakers) are Survivors! We can lead Very Normal Lives! The hard part is finding a treatment that will work for her. Do you belong to FaceBook. There are Several organizations Groups that can provide your Sister w/ Support & Info, also. My Opinion: Support & Education are Vital when it comes to Epilepsy. It makes a world of Difference! I'm not trying to get rid of you. I just want you to Know All your Options when it comes to caring for your sister. And I want your Sister to get some Support & start Learning, too.

BTW: My Sister was My caretaker at one time, also. I was her Caretaker, too. Difference: She had a Hubby to sleep w/ (both of us had seizures at nite) I didn't. She refused to be treated. I embraced the Need to be treated.

Lots of Love & Hugs

Love Candi

saxofone1 replied to courtjord37's response:
Hi Courtney,

I'm always glad to be of any assistance. I will surely pass on any new info that I come across.

Candi is always full of info to pass to us. We can count on her for sharing what many of us have left out. The info about showers vs baths, leaving the door open, monitors, etc is very important.

My prayers are with you too about the clinic doctor and nuerologsit. Let your sister know that she has friends in her corner. Does she have any questions for us? You know she is welcome to join us too.

Have a good day. High Fives to you both.

angie

hawiian_girl11 responded:
Yes you should take her to the ER wether is u or someone else ooor the EMS.

the longer you wair the more damage is being done to her brain.

you don not want that for herl.

it is wiser to hafe EMS take her because they have the toold to ehelo her that you don't on the truck. They can have the sz stopped before they ever teach the hossotial, you can't.

I used to be a paramedic but when my szs started and I got the dx of Epilepsy they wouldn up pulling my liscence and I sn never allowef to work in that area again or aork period.

But in Hawaii there are few hopitals on each island .

juzt get her there someway so she can get relief that she needs after the sz,

I have been to the hospital 5 times in 3 years for break-thru szs.

people tend to get monseter headaches following szs of most szs and some even suffer Migraines aftwerwads. I get MIgrains and I have to givie myslf a shot of liwuid IMitrex called Sumavel. Tjeu hurt because it is given my air pressure not any needle. It is in a pen. They also have ones that some insurance company comiantines will pay for but those have tiny neeles and hurt WAY less than the air pressure onesl

then there is a gel that can be put in her rectally, all this can be done at home but I think EMS is really the way to go on this one,

Nancy

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center