Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Not sure but scared..PLZ Help
jenngordon posted:
Ok So my 17 month baby girl has been having random "episodes" of screaming and crying and thrashing around. We have kind of blown it of as night terrors as it usually happens while she is asleep. She has her eyes open but doesnt seem to act like she knows where she is at and if we try to touch her, talk to her, or comfort her in any way she gets worse. Well tonight she was awake and I was getting her situated to sit on my bed to snuggle before bed and she started "pitching a fit". She hasn't felt well and has had an ear infection since 26 September (today is 10-10) and already went through a round of Amoxicillin and is now on Augmentin. She was awake but fussy. So I proceeded to lie down with her thiking that she just didnt feel well then all of a sudden she went from fussy to sitting up and throwing herself back onto the bed, scratch herself and myself and her father. She was trying to hit her head on the head board (but of course I didnt let her). She looked like she wasn't aware of what she was doing but she was "awake". We just have no idea as to what to think...

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Jenn,

So sad that your daughter is going thru this. To rule out Seizure activity, you should get a referral to a pediatric Neuro. The part that worries me are the 'episodes' of her not being Aware of where she is or of what she is doing. But, then again, her reaction to touch/talking/comforting shows she IS still aware. And those may well be 'night terrors'.

I realize at her age she has no way of telling you what is wrong. So, please start a Daily Journal for her. Posted in Helpful Hints on the rite. There are apps on your cell phone (if you have one) that can be beneficial in keeping track of everything, too.

Did these 'random' moments happen B4 or after she started anti-biotics? Have you checked WebMD Drug Info at top of page to see what side effects Either med mite have? Norm & Rare! I Know some anti-biotics can have seizure side effects. Usually Rare, though.

Keep in mind, Mood swings, at her age, are typical, too. I know my son went thru some Random 'tantrums' & 'head banging' & it really scared me, at the time. As a Person w/ Epilepsy, I know that Traumatic Head Injuries can trigger seizures.

At the bottom of this page is a link the Epilepsy Health Center. Please, educate yourself & others' about Epilepsy. It is Good Info to Know. Even if your child Doesn't have a Seizure Disorder. Keep us Posted. Know We Care! Hugs to you & your Precious Daughter.

Love Candi

hawiian_girl11 responded:
when I was a baby my mom has been telling me things that make me think I may have had ep all my life.

She has told me that when she went to pick me up after a nap I would stiffen up and cry really hard. THen I would scream myself to sleep. It happened even whe nmy dad picked me up.

get all stiff and cry hard.

neuro thinks so too. what sz type might this be in your opinion. I do onot go back to the mainland until jan 13 of 14. I have asolutly NO plans of leaving here for x mas this year. I am having enough trouble with my epilepsy as it is.

I havehad my VNS adjusted. they changes the settings.

they used to be 5 minutes OFF and 20 seconds ON.

Now it it is 1.8 minutes OFF and 21 seconds ON.

the idea behind this is for giving me more therapy.

go UH WARRIORS!!

nancy

Helpful Tips

maybe not a seizure
A friend of mine had what he thought was a seizure. They could find nothing but he lost his license also. For one documented seizure. A ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center