do i really have it?
An_254288 posted:
I was 22 yrs when I had my 1st seizure. it was after a long night of drinking, lack of food and sleep. around that time I also had twitches after nights of drinking. I was young and wasn't taking care of my body. my dr diagnosed me with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. when I was 32 yrs I kept missing doses and was under a tremendous amount of stress and had another seizure. I only see my dr once a yr and over the past 6 mo I frequently forgot to take my meds. one dose a day here, one there.... and over a long period of time I was down to one dose a day regularly and then realized I would like to try to lessen to nothing over time. I am now 37 yrs old and haven't had a twitch or anything in 2 months. I feel I was dependent upon the medication and could manage any scares or anxiety I might have with my prescription of adavan. I may take 1/2 a dose of that maybe every 2 weeks just to calm any aniexity I may have from this seizure disorder I have been diagnosed with. not sure if this is all making sense and I know I should've discussed with my dr but it kinda just happened over time and now here I am. at 22 yrs I had 2 eeg's, one with and one without activity. the one with was after a night of drinking. do I really need to get back on my meds? can anxiety cause these seizures and can it be treated with as needed medication? I am horrible at remembering to take pills every day and I don't like the thought of being dependent on them. when I was younger, drinking, not taking care of myself I didn't mind. but now, I really am over it.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello, Welcome to our Epilepsy Community. Thank You for sharing your journey. Yes, I have an Opinion, which I am assuming is what you need.
First, alcohol Can induce seizures. The thing is, seizures train the brain to seize Again. You may be doing Fine on a lwoer dose. W/ the Ativan back up. But, since you have had an Abnormal EEG, doesn't matter how long ago, I would not Stop taking the med/dose you are on. You can increase it if seizure activity comes back. But, then again, some DRS agree that IF another EEG comes back 'normal' you can go off meds. AFTER 2 Yrs. Then if you Remain seizure free you won't need meds. Problem: Seizures do Not Discriminate as to when they happen. Episodes can be days, months, yrs apart. But, if you Avoid your triggers (you may have more than 1 trigger) then the possibilities do lessen.

Horrible at taking meds. 1. To maintain seizure control, you Need a steady flow of medication going thru your system. I've had control on meds for over 25 yrs. IF I forget to take them, seizures follow. Repeat: They Don't Discriminate as to When! they will occur. 2. Suggestion. Set Time, Set Alarms! Keep meds in a weekly or more Pill Box. If you don't take meds when alarm goes off, you can take them take w/in an hr or so from Set Time. Other wise wait till next Set Time.

So, you need to keep a Daily Journal,(more Info in Helpful Tips) that you can show your Doc. You need to have another EEG, to determine if it would be Wise to go completely off you med. After you have been seizure free for 2 or more YRS. I Apologize if I am repeating myself. I'm Concerned for You! It really isn't that bad to be co-dependent on our meds. Especially if you consider the alternatives. More Seizures &/or SUDEP! Ever hear of That??? Sudden Unexplained Death Due to Epilepsy. That can happen more than you realize. Do some Homework about That. Know I care. Hugs

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support