Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Don't be ignorant about life
workwithit1 posted:
I've had Focal Epilepsy since I was 12 years old. The first day I found out my parents started and continued to shelter me. I learned to live with it and work around it. Get a neurologist and if you need to get on some type of meds. The fact is this is a condition you have , don't be ignorant cause a family member of mine was, she stopped her meds for many years, had a seizure and she's gone. Having Epilepsy is not the end of the world. Question for Doc: Is this condition passed on from female to male or could it be passed on female to female or male to male etc or is that's a myth. ?

dancer86442 responded:
Hello workwithit,

Thank You for joining our Epilepsy Community. I can appreciate your concern for others' who may have Focal Seizures. But, what you said, is true about any Type of Epilepsy. And Ignorance is a Fact of Epilepsy that a Lot of people suffer from. Unfortunately, in the Epilepsy world, a Lot of ppl are Ignorant about SUDEP (sudden unexplained death due to Epilepsy) Because, sadly, our DRS refuse to Inform us about this. Which is why I advocate for learning about All aspects of Epilepsy.

I agree, having Epilepsy is Not the end of the World. Just another Bump ( a Large Bump for some) that we can overcome &/or cope with. By seeking proper Health care, asking the Right questions & Staying Strong!

Your Question: In my family: Female to female & Female to male. Yes, I have 3 confirmed members of my family w/ Epilepsy. Plus, 2 others' who have Seizure Disorders. Mom was dxed w/ Mercury Poisoning, several yrs ago. De-Toxed & seizure free, now. Brother dxed last yr. No explanation of Why, yet. Time & Patience.

I do hope you will consider becoming a Member of our Family. We could use a new Friend to help w/ support &/or answers. Hugs

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

dancer86442 responded:
http://epilepsyu.com/blog/study-finds-patients-focal-epilepsy-widespread-abnormal-connections-brains/
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

saxofone1 responded:
Hi workwitit,

Thanks for your thoughts.

My mother tried her best to shelter me from the world. I think she was trying to protect me not hide me from the world

I am the only one in my family with ep. I had meningitis as an infant and had experienced a seizure during that time. The epilepsy broke through 9 days before I turned 14. That was 38 yrs ago.

Please hang around and contribute your thoughts to others. I found this site by chance over 3 yrs ago. It has been helpful to me to chat/share with others my experiences over the yrs.

angie

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center