Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Is epilepsy inherited?
ananya1 posted:
Hi ,
I have been engaged to a guy whose mother has Epilepsy. She is having it from childhood from around 8-9 years. The guy(25) and his elder brother(26) are absolutely fine and dont have any Seizures or Epilepsy till now.She is taking medicines from childhood. In between she had stopped medication for 10 years since there was no sign of seizures or other symptoms. Whenever she has seizures, she looses consciousness,loss of memory for few days. My concern is will the guy develop epilepsy in future or is there any chance of future generations getting epilepsy? Will appreciate any proper information provided. Thanks

hawiian_girl11 responded:
it can be . in my case it was a pure fluke that my 2 kids and I eneded up with it all together. My youngest died from Juvenile Myoclonic epilepsy, but heres waaas a rare case, and I still have a 17 yr old at home with TOnic Clonics and a VNS who is doing well, and I have L-TLE and a VNS and 3 meds.

JME Is an enheriited type and who knows where she got it from or why so bad but it does not fun in my family.

Candi on here has a whole familya ful of people with ep.

She can talk to you about eniertied eplesu.

NAncy

saxofone1 responded:
Hi ana,

I am the only one in my immediate family with ep. A maternal cousin had ep as a kid but hers disappeared as she got older. My ep is due to having meningitis as an infant.

I have heard that ep is known to skip generations but that is not saying that is a 100% chance for that "skipped generation" to develop ep. The chances are simply higher but not guaranteed.

Epilepsy takes on many forms. Don't let the type of seizure that your fiancees' mom has limit your familiarity of what a seizure is.

Think about talking with your doctor about this concern. Maybe your future mother-in-law can provide some insight or resources for you too. You might want to check out a local epilepsy foundation for additional inform.

.Congrats on your engagement.

angie

dancer86442 responded:
Hello anaya 1

How are you today? My Mom & her family didn't have Epilepsy or seizure disorder. But, Me, My Sis, my nephew, my Daughter & my brother have all had seizures of one type or another. My Mother Did develop Absence seizures in her late 60's but, it was determined to be caused by Mercury Poisoning & once she was de-toxed, she was OK. My Son is 25 & so far no signs of seizures.

My Daughter was diagnosed w/ Hereditary Epilepsy. My Dr said this when I asked him to test me: Just becuz, your daughter was diagnosed w/ it doesn't mean that is what caused yours. I had seizures as a babe/toddler, but, they went into remission. (convulsions did, unsure if I had 'smaller' unnoticed seizures.) A head blow at 27 re-triggered the convulsions. I Still say mine are Inherited or genetic ( for some reason there is a Difference ) I read an article a Long time ago that claimed there was pre-tests (blood tests) you could have run on a child to determine if they are at risk. But, no one has ever mentioned being tested on this site.

Truth is everyone will experience at least 1 seizure in their lifetime. There are many, many causes & or reasons, for them to continue to affect someone though. Triggers can be a Lot of things. Illnesses w/ High Fevers, Some Foods/additives, (gluten &/or artificial sweeteners top that list in my book ) traumatic injuries to the brain, stress, drug/alcohol w/drawal & the List goes on. Some times it seems like they start for no reason at all. Because it can take a day, a week, a month to Yrs later to start having them & people are unaware or have forgotten about things that happened in the past.

My Opinion: If you Love the guy, Go For IT. If/when a problem develops, then you will be able to deal w/ it & support him. Continue to Educate yourself about All aspects of Epilepsy. But, try not to worry. Life is to Short for That! We Are Still 'normal' people! We can Still be very Smart & do just about anything anyone else w/out seizures does.

If you have More questions/concerns, please let us know. HUGS! ENJOY your Future together!

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center