Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
First event, no diagnosis, wait and see?????
An_254689 posted:
Just had my first "event" today. Not really sure what it was. I haven't gone to the doctor, in the hope that I simply won't ever have another event.

I am 59 years old. I was at an art festival in Florida. Temperature outside was a pleasant 72 degrees, so no heat issue. I felt fine. I was getting a chair massage from a booth at the festival, when I apparently lost consciousness. I had no warning that anything was wrong.

I was told, that the massage therapist noticed something was wrong with me. She tried to talk to me, but I was unresponsive, and falling out of the chair. She got another therapist to come over and he also tried to rouse me, but I was not responsive. Apparently sometime in this process I was vomiting, The first therapist left the booth and went to another booth to get my husband, who was playing music, and she and my husband returned, and I was still unconscious, still vomiting and being held up in the massage chair by the other therapist.

My husband tried to talk to me, and eventually I responded, though at first I was talking nonsense to him, and then later I was trying to tell him nothing was the matter, but I had vomit in my mouth and on my shirt, that came as a total surprise to me. I was confused for 10 minutes or so, but then I was able to walk over to another booth and sit and listen to music for a while. After about 30 minutes, I realized that I had urinated during the episode. (Black pants had fortunately hidden that element of the event from others.)

So from what I gather, I was unconscious for about 5 minutes, then confused for about 10 minutes, then it was about 30 minutes later that I was able to realize that my pants were soaked in urine, so I think it really took me the 40 minutes to really be clear headed afterwards.

That all happened about 12 hours ago now. I have been feeling fine. (after a nice shower)

I still work full time, and certainly can't afford to be told I can't drive for 6 months. I have been researching on the web, and think it maybe could be syncope, (fainting) due to being so relaxed from the massage that my blood pressure dropped and I fainted. But the vomiting and urination don't seem to be common with that.

I do take diuretics as blood pressure meds. So that might also have contributed to fainting.

Since this is a first time event, I am thinking I would just make a journal note of it, and hold off from going to the doctor, with the hopes that I don't have another event for at least another 60 years. : )

Thanks for any insight you might have.

dancer86442 responded:
Well, I am not a DR, but, yes, it may have been a seizure. But, have some blood levels drawn/tested, on your meds. To rule That out as a possibility.

They say Everyone will experience 1 seizure in their Lifetime. Childhood & Seniors are most at risk of re-occurring activity. Although your aftermath & recovery time & are the Norm, I worry about the length of the event.

I am Happy to hear you did some Homework on this Issue. Definitely note it in your Journal. Read Journals under Tips to be sure you include Everything!

BTW: I have Low Blood Pressure moments, myself. Some of them Have included vomiting. I, usually, recognize the signs & find a place to lie down. I will Then, pass out, but, I don't think I have ever 'fainted' or lost bladder control.

I Pray you never have another such event. But, IF you do, remember, you are not alone. Talk to us! And Keep Learning. Hugs!

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

laurajose replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks Candi,
I appreciate the response.
I have been feeling fine since the incident, but it was certainly a disconcerting event. I have written it all up, including some additional informatioin my friends told me about my eyes having very constricted pupils for at least 30 minutes afterwards. I will keep the report where I, or my husband, can find it if I ever have another event.

I am hoping this is my one seizure in my life time.

Laura

dancer86442 replied to laurajose's response:
Hi Laura,

Unfortunately, we do feel 'fine' after we recover. But, seizures do not discriminate as to what Type will affect us or when they will re-occur. Or Not, in some cases. It all depends on what may have caused it. Stress, PTSD, brain abnormality, (cysts, scarring, tumors), chiropractic issues & more. Than, there is the 65% of 'unknown' cause. . So, keep learning! Be aware & tell those you Love, what to watch for. And How to Assist you Properly!

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

saxofone1 responded:
Hi Laura,

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your incident. I too hope it was your "one and only".

I think you're starting out well by researching and keeping that journal handy. Record everything. All info, no matter how small it might seem, is helpful.

You have our support on this journey. Hope you find some answers soon. Keep in touch whenever you can. Rant, share, voice your feelings, etc.

angie

hawiian_girl11 replied to saxofone1's response:
Aloha Laura

I had my first sz or event the night before my college graduation.I was a grand Mal. not my actual type of sz. but 8 months before.. that I was in a car wreck with only my self. I don't know what happened. neurologist thinks I may have had a sz and drove off the road and hit a huge tree head-on after sliding across the oncoming troffic lane jumped the curb then hit the tree. thee was another accident right before mine and a man was in his yard watching and told the medics what happened so they could treat me.. at that theime no one knew there was epilepsy and the battery o tests stsrted. EEGs of every kind EMUs, MRIs CTs etc. All my test came back positive for the disorder

hawiian_girl11 replied to dancer86442's response:
I was not donr, it cut me off,

I was talk in about bring positive for the disorder.

IT tok one sz like yours to get the dx and yours sounds like you had one nbut I AM NOT A DOCTOR. just throwing out a suggestion.

I can not ell you how many journals I have kept. I see my neuro eevery 3 months which means fly in from Hawaii. I have probably given him at least OVER 50 of them an d I am still doing it.

don't sit and play the waiting game get back with someone and reqest n EEG that is the only way that they will/can find out if it is indeed epilepsy.

I take massive amounts of medicine along with a VNS and that little device can stop szsin their tracks alaong with auras.

It can also shorten them and the post-ictal phase as well, so instead of my 1.5 hr afterwards it only take about 15-20 minutes to recover from a sz.

I have TLE which is stubborn to take care of.

nancy

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center