Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
After-effects of seizure....
vivi_len posted:
I am 65 years old and it wasn't until I was 50 that I had what was diagnosed as a seizure disorder. Since that time I have a had 3 subsequent attacks. Tswo years ago I had an MRI of the brain and it showed no abnormalities. So under a neurologists advice I weaned myself off the Dilantin I was taking.

The most recent was 4 days ago. I spent time in the hospital in the town where I live (Dumaguete, Philippines). The continuing problem now is around the constant pain across the top of my chest and across the top of my back which radiates down the back.

It is so severe that there are certain positions that I can't go to.. Specifically on my right side or left side. Also trying to get into a vehicle is problematic as well as the pain induced in my back can literally take my breathe away.

The neurologist prescribed medication which included Dilantin 3x daily. According to her for the rest of my life. She also prescribed norgesic with paracetamol as a means to control the pain I have been experiencing.

The unfortunate thing is that particular medication apperars to be providing little of any relief in this situation.

I feel that soaking in a hot bathtub might assist; however, here in the Philippines everyone takes showers and there are no bathtubs in the homes.

Any thought or suggestions as what I could do would be appreciated. Because the pain I am experiencing is preventing me from going out on walks or to a mall to look around and maybe eat at restuarant.

Anyhow thanks for reading this and I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year....

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Vivi_len,

Having a seizure disorder means Showers Only, anyway. It only takes 2" of water to drown. Call your DR & Inform them that the pain med isn't working. Hopefully, the Dilantin will work to control any further seizure episodes. Please read the Info we have on Daily Journals in Helpful Hints. You should keep a Journal, at least until you know if your seizures are under control.

So, alternatives: A heating mat works for me. Hubby found an elongated rabbit stuffed w/ 'beads' that warms up in the microwave. Plus I have a massage/heat pad/mat.

I hope you remain seizure free. And find relief from your pain. It will take time to heal. Most of my muscle aches following seizures or other strains took at least a week or 2 for me to feel better. I was soo sore It would be days B4 I could even climb out of bed. And I have a High Pain tolerance.

Keep us up to date. Know we care. Hugs Happy New Year to you, also.

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center