Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Seizure Teenager who drinks Energy Drinks
gettinginfo posted:
Obviously I am the mom. I'm concerned that my 17 year old son takes Keppra for seizures (seizure free for two years) and drinks these high powered energy drinks almost on a daily basis! He attends High School and works part time but I'm afraid sooner or later these energy drinks will lessen the effects of the Keppra medicine. Any help please???

Take the Poll

I'm afraid sooner or later these energy drinks will lessen the effects of the Keppra medicine. Any help please???
  • I don't know what to do/say here.
vote
View Poll Results

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Mom,

A friend (medical Journalist) wrote an article about Energy Drinks & Epilepsy. Tha tab to post a link won't work for me rite now. But, if you visit our Helpful Tips you can find the link to her site. epilepsytalk.com by Phylis Feiner. There is a search Tool located in Menus on her site. Type in Energy drinks to read her Info. Hopefully, your son will read it, too.

Although these energy drinks can be a trigger for some, it sounds like your son is doing OK, so far. But, he still needs to know the possibility is there.

Have him discuss this issue w/ his Pharmacist, too. My 2 cents: Everything that may be a potential trigger should be consumed in moderation, until you Know what effect it will have.

Love Candi
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month Wear Purple/Place a Purple light in/on home/businesses. Encourage others' to show Their support

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center